- Category: Accounting and Finance, Admin, Secretarial and Clerical, Business and Administration
- Position: Administrative Assistant
- Location: Mekele or Shire, Tigray
- Career Level: Junior Level (1+ – 2 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary: As per GIZ scale
- Deadline: Oct 5, 2023
Vacancy Announcement #164/2023
Qualification and Employment Prospects for Refugees, Internally Displaced People and Host Communities in Ethiopia II – Social Transformation Cluster
- Contract duration: 31.10.2027
- Application deadline: 05.10.2023
- Duty station: Mekelle or Shire
On behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, GIZ is committed to improving the employment prospects of refugees and the host population in regions of Ethiopia. The project ” Qualification and Employment Prospects for Refugees, Internally Displaced People and Host Communities in Ethiopia II” has as objective to develop skills and provide employment opportunities for refugees, internally displaced persons and members of host communities in Ethiopia in line with national, regional and international strategies in the context of flight and internal displacement.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The administrative assistant will be based in Mekelle or Shire. He/she will support the technical team in Tigray in administrative-related matters with the QEP Addis Ababa office, cluster Admin & Finance team, and GIZ Country Office.
The incumbent is responsible for:
- Overview and overall office management of the QEP office in Tigray in terms of follow-up of office and administrative requirements.
- Planning and managing monthly petty cash and procuring required office materials as per approved budget allocated.
- Facilitating, organizing and supporting provision of workshops, trainings, and visits done in Tigray for QEP, and preparing all necessary requirements for the events.
- Scheduling and organizing travel requests and hotel accommodations for duty trips within, to and from Tigray for the QEP team in Tigray.
- Close and effective coordination with the Finance Specialist in Tigray, cluster Admin & Finance team, and GIZ Country Office on following up of with administrative related matters.
Within this context, s/he fulfils the following tasks:
- Maintain expertise knowledge about GIZ’s internal P+R (Processes and Rules) related to administrative matters.
- Follow-up and assist the organisational and administrative matters for the proper operation of QEP project activities in Tigray by ensuring availability of all required office supplies and required logistical arrangements.
- Being the focal point for administrative related matters of the QEP office in Tigray and act as administrative liaison with QEP Addis Ababa office.
- Follow-up and carry out necessary procurement for the QEP Office in Tigray in coordination with QEP Addis Ababa office, and cluster Admin & Finance team.
- Facilitate and organize events such as trainings, workshops, and visits in Tigray by following up and preparing the required logistical arrangements.
- Closely work and coordinate with the QEP driver in Tigray in following up with the vehicle management such as proper vehicle related documentation and timely vehicle maintenance.
- Closely work and coordinate with the Tigray QEP Finance Advisor on internal GIZ financial matters such as reviewing petty cash settlements, travel expense settlements, and other GIZ internal financial transactions.
- Follow-up and assist the proper inventory documentation and management of all QEP office assets in Tigray.
- Support required data collection and knowledge management.
- Deputize the Tigray QEP Finance Advisor when needed.
- Carry out other activities as assigned by the line manager.
Required qualifications, competencies, and experience.
- BA in business administration, accounting, auditing or a related comparable field.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the relevant administrative position.
- Good communication, organisational, and human interaction skills.
- Confidential handling of data and information.
- Experience with project budgets at international organizations is advantageous.
- Experience in cooperating with regional government offices, agencies, and ideally international organisations.
- Experience to work in challenging environments and willingness to travel within Ethiopia, particularly to the Somali region.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Very good language skills in English (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of Amharic (writing, speaking, listening) and good knowledge of Tigrigna (writing, speaking, listening)
- Good skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook)
- Ability to work proactively and in a dependable, responsible manner with great attention to detail.
- Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the programme.
- Ability to perform well in large and diverse team and possesses a team player value.
- Capability to perform under intensive workload pressure at sometimes.
- Thorough knowledge of GIZ instruments and procedures is a strong advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with
their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position ‘Administrative Assistant #164/2023’ in the subject line of your email application.
‘Please note that, due to urgency of the vacancy the selection will be done on a rolling base.’
Due to the large number of applications, we categorize applications with vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”