- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Assistant/Cashier (Maternity Cover)
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Junior Level (1+ – 2 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary: USD 470.00 – 572.00 per month which specific amount will be determined up on candidates experience and educational relevancy
- Deadline: Aug 11, 2023
- Title: Finance Assistant/Cashier (Maternity Cover)
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Employment Category: I1
- Salary Range: USD 470.00 – 572.00 per month which specific amount will be determined up on candidates experience and educational relevancy
- Reporting To: Finance Manger
- Start of Contract & Duration: 6 months
- Posting date: July 27, 2023
- Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, The Finance Assistant will control cash movement in the safe box & DRC bank account by ensuring compliance with DRC financial procedures.
Finance and Cash Management
- Handle Country Officer cash and cash transactions carefully and safely;
- Prepare receipt, payment, and other vouchers as required;
- Pay all cash payments upon approval of authorized DRC managers;
- Keep office petty cash to an appropriate authorized limit and make timely replenishment;
- Assist CO staff in daily financial activities;
- Undertake monthly salary payment to staff and remit taxes and pension to the concerned authorities;
- Ensure full documentation before effecting any payment;
- Conduct regular cash count;
- Ensure monthly closing and cash follow status report is produced on time, in both electronic and hard copies;
- Maintain proper filing systems of financial documents;
- Ensure accounting records are kept updated, are reliable and are maintained according to DRC accounting practices;
- Ensure timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements;
- Record expense & revenue on DRC Dynamics
Payment and cash flow
- Maintain cashbooks/DRC Dynamics and accounts records and ensure payments are allocated to the correct project and budget line;
- Ensure all relevant documentation is collected, checked and attached to payment vouchers;
- Handle all cash, including petty cash and local bank accounts, and maintain and balance daily cash books;
- Collect cash money and deal with any other business with the bank;
- Manage cash balances to ensure that sufficient balances are maintained for ongoing activities while preventing too high balances to avoid incurring high exchange rate charges.
- Ensure telephone and electricity bills are paid in time every month;
- Replace Finance Officer during absence.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by line manager.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- A minimum of 1 year for BA holder and 2 years for Diploma holder relevant experience is required,
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to use ERP systems & MS Office with advanced excel proficiency;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff from diverse cultures.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- BA Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or other directly related field from University or higher education
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=168776 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than August 11, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.