- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Officer
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Jul 11, 2023
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Finance Officer to be based in the Addis Ababa Country office. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Alight (formerly American Refugee Committee) is an international non-profit organization with its headquarters located in the United States. Alight has provided humanitarian assistance to millions of beneficiaries in 29 countries over the past 40 years, currently reaching over 10 million refugees, IDPs, and disaster-affected communities in 17 countries around the world, helping people regain control of their lives after conflict and natural disasters. Alight maintains full-fledged humanitarian programs in Somalia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Pakistan, Thailand, and Myanmar. Alight is currently in the process of responding to humanitarian situation in Ethiopia.
Alight focuses on lifesaving humanitarian interventions as well as recovery and resilience building programs designed to create lasting positive change in the lives of vulnerable people. Alight works closely with displaced persons, returnees, refugees and communities affected by natural and man-made disasters, providing a range of integrated assistance including primary and curative health care, water and sanitation, protection services, restoration of strategic health and water infrastructure, dignified housing for returning refugees, and sustainable job creation. Alight has also built strong relationships with development partners, agencies, as well as federal and local governments in order to approach challenges in an inclusive and holistic manner and come up with innovative solutions that best fits the local context.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Officer is responsible for managing Cash and bank transacting and will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner. The Finance officer will be based in Addis Ababa and will assist in the coordination of finance related tasks for ALIGHT Ethiopia Addis Ababa country office and ensure that timely processing of payments with adequate support documentation.
- Manage the safe and ensure safe custody of the office Petty Cash held according to Alight policies and procedures.
- Ensure adequate level of petty cash available in the office and make daily payments of approved transactions.
- Prepare cash payment and bank vouchers and ensure that all transactions are fully and properly documented, reviewed, and authorized by the supervisor and management.
- Perform weekly and monthly cash count with the Senior Finance officer.
- Prepare checks and cash payments based on fully approved documents and ensure that they are reviewed and signed accordingly.
- Prepare transaction reports and ensure adequate support documents for the weekly financial review by the Senior Finance Officer and for posting.
- Maintain a proper document filing system for all finance documents for custody and safe storage.
- Support in ensuring timely settlement of advances disbursed from Addis Ababa office.
- Carry out additional financial transaction reviews to ensure accuracy and fully documented before payments are made.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Alight and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in accounting, business administration and other related field.
- 3 years of relevant experience in the relevant field, preferably NGO experience.
- Computer proficiency in use of standard MS Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Computation and accuracy skills preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Fluency in English, Amharic and other native languages required.
KEY BEHAVIORS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- High level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Experience of working under high pressure, in fast-paced environments and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
- Strong service orientation with the ability to proactively approach staff to understand their needs and to find effective solutions.
- Understanding of and commitment to the “Humanitarian principles”
- Understanding of and commitment to Alight code of conduct and organizational goals
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send motivation/cover letter and updated Resume (not more than 3 pages) to [email protected] before July 11, 2023 COB.
- Please, indicate the position/title applied for in subject of the email and your cover letter.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Due to the high volume of application, only qualified applicants will be short listed and contacted.
- Open to Ethiopian nationals ONLY.
“FEMALE APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY”