- Position: Roving Logistics Officer – Junior CST
- Job Time: Full-Time
- Job Type: Contract
- Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
- Application Deadline: September 21, 2023
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
JOB TITLE: Roving Logistics Cluster Officer
CONTRACT TYPE: Junior Consultant
UNIT/DIVISION: Supply Chain
DUTY STATION: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 11 Months
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The cluster approach was introduced to ensure that there is predictable leadership and accountability in all main sectors or areas of humanitarian response and to strengthen system-wide preparedness and technical capacity to respond to humanitarian emergencies. Due to its expertise in the field of humanitarian logistics, the World Food Programme was chosen by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) as the lead agency for the Logistics Cluster.
The Logistics Cluster is a service cluster, supporting the humanitarian community to ensure critical aid gets to where it is needed. The role of the Logistics Cluster is to provide coordination of logistics activities of the humanitarian response and information management to support operational decision-making throughout the response cycle. Where gaps in the logistics infrastructure have been identified, the Logistics Cluster also facilitates access for the humanitarian responders to a range of logistics services including air, sea and overland transport as well as warehousing.
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of logistics operations at logistics bases including monitoring of services provided to humanitarian partners to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full. This position will require travel as required to respond to emergency needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Coordinate and manage logistics operations in and out of the logistics bases in-country.
2. Ensure timely and proper performance of logistics services to be delivered for the humanitarian community.
3. Manage and coordinate fleet movements for humanitarian partners, including coordination with relevant stakeholders to ensure access to humanitarian cargo.
4. Liaise with the Country Office and Logistics Cluster Coordinator for logistics operations and needs.
5. Manage logistics operational activities following standard processes and ensuring compliance, contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of assistance to beneficiaries.
6. Collect and analyse data through research and networking with colleagues and partners to recommend actions to senior staff to improve the performance of local logistics operations.
7. Participate to assessment missions both for the Logistics Cluster or Inter-Agency on logistics capacities to inform better decision-making for emergency response and operational readiness, and provide recommendations accordingly.
8. Create and review project budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and advice to optimise resources.
9. Contribute to consolidation and preparation of operational pipeline planning of humanitarian partners, including checking document and clearance readiness, loading, and discharging operations and contracting of applicable transport, warehouse and any relevant logistics services.
10. Contribute to the supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other units on monitoring ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to guidance and policies, and providing financial analysis and advice to optimise resources.
11. Guide and supervise logistics assistants to carry out activities at the logistics bases.
12. Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
13. Participate in the ongoing review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase day-to-day efficiencies.
14. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity to meet the emergency needs of partners.
15. Other as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: Minimum of one to four years of professional experience in the fields of Logistics/warehousing in emergency operations.
Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
How to Apply
Use the link below