- Category: Accounting and Finance, Admin, Secretarial and Clerical
- Position: Finance and Admin Officer
- Location: Jimma, Oromia
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Sep 15, 2023
1. TechnoServe Background:
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heart of TechnoServe’s work around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveraging the power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting. Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
2. Position Description:
|The Field Office Finance and Admin Officer is responsible for all areas of financial as well as administrative functions of the designated project in the area. This position will be responsible for maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure the production of accurate and timely financial statements. The Admin and Finance officer supervises accounts staffs (if any) in the field office and is responsible to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. He/she will have contact with others and that requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.As member of TNS finance team, the position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including financial reporting, yearend audit facilitation and support of budget and forecast activities, assess risks, loopholes and bottlenecks in the financial system and work with the Controller and Senior Finance Officer to improve the system.3. Duties and Responsibilities|
- Accounting and Financial Management:
o Ensure reliability and accuracy of daily data entry into NAV. Strictly adhere to real time data processing in NAV of the country office particularly and TNS globally. Ensure pieces of supporting documents are attached to the system intact.
o Ensure financial return sheets are timely submitted to Addis office every month.
o Ensure staff advance balances are accurate and expected to be zero at the end of the year.
o Ensure all accounting policies and procedures are followed consistently
o Reconcile bank balances on a monthly basis to ensure all payments and deposits have been accounted for;
o Code all types of payment and receipt vouchers,
o Maintain records and reconciliation of statements for suppliers and debtors;
o Ensure the delivery of items paid for are in accordance with the expected quantity and quality.
o Ensure that taxation and legislative requirements of government are complied with.
o Ensure that procurement processes adhered to TNS policy, legal and contractual obligations and donor standards;
o Check and verify coding done by others for correctness.
o Analyze balances and recommend any adjustments when necessary
o Maintain high levels of confidentiality in relation to sensitive and confidential financial decisions and issues;
o Assist and ensure optimal financial systems and reporting and maintenance of TechnoServe’s accounting policies, financial procedures and guidelines;
o Review financial documents of PMs, SBAs, BAs and others for coding and compliance issues.
o Support the monthly and annual financial closings.
o Contribute for the overall coordination and quality monitoring of project finance;
o Ensure project spending corresponds to the approved budget,
o Check the accuracy of payments before checks are signed;
o Assist TNS Finance Team in preparing reports for donors and financial decision-making
o Ensure financial information is properly and safely maintained.
o Work with and support admin and program team in financial and accounting needs in the field and at country level.
- Administrative Functions:
o Ensure drivers field travel expense submitted to Databasics on monthly basis.
o Assist the Program Manager to supervise and coordinate the transport fleet and locally hired vehicles.
o Provide monthly reports on all transport logistics issues to the A.A office.
o Assist the Program Manager in analyzing the cost and fuel efficiency of vehicles as per TNS standard.
o Maintain fixed asset inventory list and report to AA on quarterly basis.
o Conduct physical count of inventory and report to Finance Section as required.
o Assist the Program Manager to handle Administrative tasks of the Field office.
o Assist the country office admin team in any administrative issues
o Undertake other related works as directed by the controller or the accounts manager
- Bachelor’s Degree + 3 years’ experience, or Master’s Degree + 1 years’ experience in accounting, INGO experience is preferable.
- Strong financial management and analysis skills experience;
- Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
- Practical experience on accounting software;
- Good understanding of the local financial laws, accounting policies and procedures and general human resource laws and policies of Ethiopia;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills;
- Proven ability and experience working with teams;
- Administration experience
- Fluency in English;
- Willingness and an ability to travel in-country as needed.
V. Preferred Skills
· Degree/diploma in management, administration or other related fields
· People management experience
VI. Success Factors:
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management:The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Computer Literacy:Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should click on the below link
and submit a cover letter resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by July 12, 2023. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at [email protected] or call +1 202 785 4515.