- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Officer
- Location: North Wollo, Amhara
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary: NA
- Deadline: Jul 21, 2023
About Samaritan’s Purse
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. Samaritan’s Purse is privileged to be part of the humanitarian effort in Ethiopia and legally registered as foreign charity to work in Ethiopia since October 08, 2018.
Open Position: 1
Duration of Contract: December 31,2023.
Finance officer will be responsible for the financial health of our organization by managing our financial procedures. The duties will include planning budgets, participating in audits, monitoring transactions, and preparing invoices.
To succeed in this role, the officer must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of financial policies, procedures, and systems. In addition to being an excellent communicator, our ideal candidate should also have outstanding analytical and time management abilities.
· Ensure implementation of Samaritan’s Purse accounting systems and procedures over cash
· Work cash forecasts with Program managers and ensure cash balance.
· Ensure financial/accounting activity is carried out accurately and in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse field accounting policies
· Review and ensure accuracy of financial transactions of the field office as appropriate (includes vouchers, FERs, Cash Advances, transfers, etc.)
· Effect payments on Cash, cheque and wire transfer
· Ensure all cash is reconciled on a daily basis, reporting any over/under to immediate supervisor or Finance Manager and investigate any over/under situations
· Administer all cash advances to employees and partners, reconciling all receipts and cash
· Support internal and external audit activities
· Ensure finance documents are properly filed and maintained
· Responsible for deducting Withholding taxes on payment declarations to ERCA thereof
· Support banking, maintain a healthy relationship with the banks, and tax office.
· Provide support to Base staff with regard to financial policies/practices and related areas
· Identify areas of feasible financial and administrative improvements
· Any other duties as may be required from time to time
Education / Experience Needed
§ Bachelor of Art in Accounting/Finance or Business Management.
§ At least three years’ experience preferably in an NGO/INGO setting as finance officer.
• Excellent communication and reporting skills in English and Amharic
· High level of attention to detail, good organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
· Ability to prioritize own workload, work independently and work to deadlines.
· Good interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
· Good coaching and training skills and ability to develop others.
· Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
· Willingness to travel at short notice and often in difficult circumstances.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk and run; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be exposed to loud noises around the maintenance and construction workshops.
· May travel in country with exposure to communicable diseases, hot and humid weather conditions.
· Work in a security context that is fluid
The employee is required to carry out his/her duties in accordance with Samaritan’s Purse Safeguarding policy and Code of conduct.
Employee should remain alert and responsive to any child and adult safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills, which will enable him/her to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child and adult safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct his/herself in a manner consistent with the Safeguarding Policy.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised by submitting their CV/Resume (maximum of 2 pages) and application letter (one Page only) no later than July 21, 2023 to [email protected]. Please write the position title you are applying for in the email subject line, “Finance Officer ”Only candidates that are short-listed will be contacted.