- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Accountant
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Jul 11, 2023
ABS Global (ABS) has awarded a sub-grant to Land O’Lakes Venture37 (Venture37) to implement the Sustainable Commercialization of Sexed Dairy Genetics in East Africa program activities through a two and a half-year implementation period from May 2023 to December 2025. ABS and Venture37 will reach the program goal of establishing a commercially viable sexed semeen market that will inclusively grow the competitiveness of the dairy market by 1) increasing small scale producer (SSP) demand and willingness to pay for sexed semeen; 2) improving last-mile delivery of AI of sexed semeen to SSPs; and 3) improving the enabling environment to establish a commercial market.
Venture37’s role will be to build awareness and capacity of SSPs of sexed semeen, strengthen AI technicians’ skills and reach and access to necessary inputs and infrastructure to administer the sexed semeen. Notably, this project will work to improve market access for women SSPs and AI technicians and build off previous work with the Gates Foundation, the Private-Public Partnership for AI Delivery project.
The Accountant will maintain accurate transactional records in the accounting system, as well as ensure compliance with Venture37’s financial and operational procedures that meet the requirement of the Ethiopian context and the Gates Foundation. The Accountant will support day-to-day accounting, financial, grant and administrative aspects of a multifaceted development program.
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Accountant will report to the Senior Finance Manager.
Primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the processing of all check and wire transfer payments
- Submit salary and pension statutory deductions to the relevant government authorities monthly.
- Assist with month end financial reports and send to Land O’Lakes HQ office in Minnesota for processing.
- Ensure Venture37 is fully compliant with all the relevant government authorities.
- Assist in the management and reconciliation of LOL bank accounts
- In coordination with Senior Finance Manager, assist with the preparation of monthly budgets and projections as well as monthly financial statements for various projects according to LOL and donor requirements.
- Prepare payments, vouchers, and ensuring that all supporting documents are included and complete in accordance with Venture37 and donor policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with the Senior Finance Manager, Country Office and HQ Accountant to provide assistance to the field /office staff on accounting and timesheet matters.
- Ensure that all creditors and debtors accounts are reconciled, and accruals schedules prepared monthly.
- Utilize established SharePoint system (DevLink) to store key documents and share key project and country related information with other staff.
- Maintaining financial management files for all local transactions as required by Venture 37, including but not limited to filing of general ledger journal vouchers, accounts payable documentation, and other miscellaneous financial expenses
- Assist with duties related to the legal name change of the organization, including finalizing the closeout of previously used bank accounts, declaring tax and pension for new employees, and communicating with tax authorities, banks, and local partners
- Contribute to the work planning process and responsible for drafting the annual procurement plan
- Work Closely with the HR Admin assistant regarding procurement processes
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or related field of study
- Minimum 3 years experience in project accounting and financial management of donor-funded programs
- Prior experience in administering staff benefits, pension funds, payroll, etc.
- Ability to coordinate, collaborate, and negotiate with clients, host government officials, NGOs, sub-grantees in implementing project activities.
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office applications such as Excel
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills to ensure sound decision making
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written in English.
- Ability to occasionally travel to the field to support activities
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Chartered Accountant certification (or equivalent)
- Experience with Cost Point, SharePoint and/or award management systems
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting, cost share and USG cost principles
How to Apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 never requests money or payment from candidates for any position type. Please report any such requests to Land O’Lakes Venture37.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status, among other factors. Our culture values a diversity of voices. So, bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle, and your dreams — they’ll only make us stronger.