- Category: Engineering
- Position: Construction Foreman
- Location: Dollobay with 50% of travel to all intervention sites including Hargelle woreda, Somali
- Career Level: Junior Level (1+ – 2 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Sep 8, 2023
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 40 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery, and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
With the direct supervision of the Health and Nutrition Manager (from the perspective of the whole Health and Nutrition project nature and goal) and Construction manager (from the perspective of profession: construction quality) at field, as well as technical oversight of the technical team in Addis Ababa the Construction Foreman is responsible for the timely construction and rehabilitation of Health Facilities and any other work required by the project in Target Woredas and maintenance of Partially damaged health and Nutrition sites.
- Support the Health and Nutrition Manager in preparing detailed activity implementation plans for the construction and maintenance of Health and Nutrition project.
- Prepare specification, BOQ and engineering cost estimate for all constructions in the project using clear take off sheets.
- Review and certify payment requests from contractors.
- Initiate procurement (Purchase Requests) for all construction materials, labor to construct Health Facilities including Hospitals, Health Centers, Health Post and Temporary Latrines.
- Supervise construction of HFs to ensure the HFs are constructed as per the plan, BOQ, specifications and agreed quality standards.
- Identify maintenance need of HFs and estimate the budget requirements for each HFs.
- Inspect quality of procured construction materials on delivery to IRC warehouse.
- Ensure the required quantity of construction materials are delivered to construction sites.
- Document and monitor in and outflow of construction materials from IRC warehouse.
- Mobilize, coordinate, and handle labor, material, and equipment at the site level.
- Monitor proper utilization of the project materials and ensure accurate and effective use of resources, ensuring that all resources/assets in the project are handled in line with IRC and Donor policy.
- Keep daily records of construction progresses, material and labor utilization and prepare and submit a monthly progress report.
- Supervise and collect the required information during follow-ups of the project progress and the project output in the community.
- Prepare completion reports and as-built drawings of completed learning spaces.
- Properly document type of community contributions and convert to monetary values to measure amount of community contributions in monitory values.
- Degree/Diploma in Construction, Engineering, or related field from universities or Technical and Vocational Training Centers and/or above.
- O years of experience as a BSc degree holder and 1 years for Diploma
- Knowledgeable in drawing with AutoCAD software
- Ability to communicate with architectural drawings.
- Knowledgeable with preparation of construction specifications, Bill of quantities (BoQ), engineering cost estimation for construction materials and labor
- Primary certificate of education and one-year experience in similar position
- Self-motivated, honest, responsible, punctual, ability to work under pressure and in team with low supervision
- Fluency in English and Somali language is a mandatory.
How to Apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are encouraged to apply only through the
below IRC On-line recruitment website:
Internal Career Site
Please include 3 references
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
Name of the position you have applied for
Date of application
Summary of your qualifications and experience
Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
Permanent Address and present address (if different from permanent) and telephone number, if possible, also email address
Disclose any family relationships with existing IRC employees.I
RC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Professional Standards: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols, and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.