Are you trying to find out how to get an Ethiopian passport or renew it? In that case, you’ve found the right place! This article will give you a thorough rundown of the procedures you must follow to apply for a new Ethiopian passport or renew an existing one.
In Ethiopia, getting a passport is a lengthy and bureaucratic process. It does involve some paperwork and patience. However, the government of Ethiopia has recently implemented reforms to make the process easier by introducing online applications and reducing the waiting time for applicants. The aim of the new system is to reduce bureaucracy, make the application process simpler, and speed up delivery times. This move is particularly groundbreaking in Ethiopia since previous administrative processes were often time consuming and inefficient.
Whether you are applying for a new passport, a passport renewal, or a replacement for one that has been lost or stolen, the process for applying for an Ethiopian passport varies. We will describe the fundamental steps for each process in this article. In this article, we will outline the general steps for each process.
Applying for a New Ethiopian Passport
If you are a first-time passport applicant or your previous passport has expired, you will need to apply for a new passport. Here are the steps you will need to follow:
Gather the required documents
To apply for a new Ethiopian passport, you will need to prepare several documents, including:
- A completed passport application form
- Your authenticated birth certificate
- A valid Kebele ID card
Whereas, if you are requesting urgent services, you must prepare:
- Medical letter
- Scholarship and DV
- Letter from an authorised organisation
- Foreign residence permit
- Invitation paper
- Urgent travel for work
- Travel for compassionate reasons
However, the recent reform in the Ethiopian passport application process has made it easier for people to apply for urgent passports by avoiding the requirement of providing these documents. Moreover, a new payment scale has been introduced.
After gathering all the necessary documents, the next step is to scan and resize them according to the set guidelines.
Check the Service Charge
Check the service charge for a new passport, which is based on the type of passport requested. A 64 page passport costs 2186 birr; a 32 page passport costs 600 birr. However, for urgent applications, an additional 100% payment of the requested document is required.
The next step is to secure an online appointment through the online passport application process. To begin the process, you will need to visit the Ethiopian Passport Services website and fill out the online application form.
- The first step is site selection, including choosing the passport office you want to visit for your appointment and the delivery site.
- The next step is to choose your appointment date and time from the available slots.
- After selecting your appointment date and time, you will be required to fill in your personal information, including personal details, address, family details, passport info, and attach any necessary documents.
- Next, a summary of the application will be provided for review, and if everything is accurate, you will proceed to make payment.
- Finally, you will need to pay the applicable passport fee by choosing from the list of payment options, which is either online or at a bank using the payment code generated after the application form is submitted.
- After you have successfully completed the online application form and have made payment, you must print the confirmation page, or the last page, which has your appointment and delivery date and time and which should be presented to the embassy upon your arrival for the appointment.
Visit the Ethiopian Immigration and Citizenship Office in Person on Your Appointment Date
Based on your appointment date and time, you will need to visit the Ethiopian Immigration and Citizenship Office in person to have your biometric data collected. This includes fingerprinting and a digital photo. When you come to the office on the appointment date, you will need to bring the confirmation page, valid government issued identification, and any additional supporting documents listed in the application form.
Wait for processing
It may take several weeks or even months for your passport to be processed, so be prepared for some waiting time.
Receive Your Passport
Later on, once the application is processed, you will be contacted to pick up your passport from the delivery site you selected when filling out your application.
- Biography of Abiy Ahmed | Early Life, Personal Life, Political Life, Awards & FAQs
- Safaricom Telecommunications Ethiopia & It’s Services
- Top 15 Ethiopian Website Owners & Their Income
- 10 Best Amharic Books of All Time
Ethiopian Passport Renewal
Ethiopian passport renewal addresses different scenarios: expired passport, damaged passport, lost passport, valid page runout or replacement, and data change as a result of marriage or a court ruling. In each of these cases, you must fill out an online application form and pay the associated fees.
Expired Passport Renewal
In this case, you will need to fill out the online application form and include a copy of the expired passport’s information page and any additional documents requested. Moreover, you will need to pay the associated renewal fee.
Damaged Passport Renewal
In the case of the damaged passport, you are required to provide a copy of the passport’s information page or any page of the passport that has the passport number and a valid Kebele Identity Card. Besides, you must pay the applicable fees, which can vary depending on the validity of your passport.
Change of Passport Data
If you need to change the passport information (like name, birthplace, and birth date), the application process is more complicated than just applying for an urgent passport. You need to provide a copy of the passport information page and the court evidence letter. Furthermore, you need to pay an additional fee for changing passport information.