- Position: Cashier/Administrative Assistant
- Location: Jijiga
- Deadline: Sep 16, 2023
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Cashier/Administrative Assistant 1, based in Jijiga.
Terms Of Employment: 12 Months Fixed Term Contract
The Administrative Assistant 1 provides complex secretarial and administrative support to personal by performing variety of specialized duties/tasks in regard to finance, premise and other administrative spheres. S/he assists the Administrative Assistant 2 in running support activities for the Sub-Delegation.
- As Cashier, s/he is responsible for keeping the local currency (and occasionally foreign currency) cash box, keeping the manual cash ledger, preparing the daily cash statement (cash float and pending items) and submitting them to the Admin Assistant 2 or F&A Manager for checking and signing.
- As Welcome focal person, helps ensure that Welcome activities are organized smoothly, including coordination of pick/up and drop-off of ICRC guests with the Dispatcher, travel arrangements, official registrations, and accommodation arrangements.
- As IM and Chancellery focal person, the employee is responsible for acting as reference person for ICRC protocol, rules for correspondence, document security, filing and intermediary archiving, using standard computer technology (Lotus Notes)
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Cash and Bank Management (60%)
- Responsible for the daily petty cash, maintains the cash limit, ensures smooth running of cash services
- Ensures respect of financial procedures and guidelines; explains cash procedures to sub-delegation staff and visiting staff
- Releases working advances according to ICRC’s financial rules and advises staff on rules and deadlines for working advance settlement
- Controls the invoices by ensuring completeness of supporting documents, respecting signatory payments, and ensures timely payments after approval of Administrative Assistant 2 or Finance & A Manager
- Manages bank notes and ensures that proper change is available in the safe;
- Collaborates with accountant on accounting or cash matters;
- Informs the supervisor in case of possible fraud or suspicious invoices
- Keeps and orderly and regular filing of daily cash statements, salary advances, working advances, etc.
- Prints and makes all financial forms available for the sub-delegation staff
- Prepares bank cheques for payment and cash withdrawal;
- Observes the required signatures according to bank Power of Attorney,
- Updates the monitoring sheet for bank balances;
- Requests bank statement and new chequebooks from the bank
- Submits updated Power of Attorneys to the bank
Welcome / Chancellery / IM (40%)
- Ensures the smooth flow for the reception of new arrivals and sending of necessary message notification for the departure/movement of ICRC mobile and resident staff and coordinates with ADD Welcome Service on employees arriving and departing;
- Reserves rooms for guest in available hotel or guest house and closely coordinates with domestic staff for the preparation of guest room meals for the visitors if applicable; Oversees event planning and related hotel reservations together with the Administrative Assistant 2
- Prepares necessary documents such as scanned copy of passport/visa page and other supporting documents especially for the mobile staff;
- Settles invoices from guest house, travelling service and courier services;
- Manages mobile phone cards for resident staff
- Responsible for the bordereau sending/receiving/distribution.
- Keeps adequate level of office material (stationery), ensures management and storage conditions, receives & dispatches the/m goods.
- Performs duties and tasks not covered in this job description and provides support to other departments when necessary.
- Serves as back up Premises-in-charge in the absence of the Administrative Assistant 2
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- Diploma/BA in Management, Accounting, and related field of study
- Minimum of 2 years confirmed practical experience in similar position
- Driving license is an asset
- Very good command of Somali and English language, spoken and written (Amharic is an asset).
- Intermediate level computer skills including MS Office suite, Sharepoint, IBM LotusNotes
How to Apply
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the CLICK HERE
Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to Jijiga Sub-delegation.
Closing date: September 16, 2023
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.