- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Program Accountant
- Location: Mekelle, Tigray
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Sep 19, 2023
Who we are
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is an International Non-governmental organization and a member of SOS Children’s Villages International Federation. We started our humanitarian work in Ethiopia with the opening of our first Village in Mekelle, Northern part of Ethiopia in 1974. Since then, we have expanded our programs to different regions where there are significant needs for intervention and where we believe we can work in partnership with all relevant actors to bring sustainable positive outcomes for children’s and young people.
Today, we have grown significantly to meet the persistent challenges that confront Ethiopian children who have lost parental care and those that are at risk of losing their parental care. Working in close collaboration with international donors, local government and community based organizations across seven program locations; we aspire that every child grows up with love, respect and security.
Why we need you?
We are looking for a program account who will be responsible for implementing and monitoring the complete financial accounting system of the program in line with donor and SOS CVE financial policy, procedure, and standard procedures.
What we provide?
An amazing work environment that promotes personal growth through providing professional space to grow and advance your career!
While working with us a program Accountant you will be in charge of the following,
- Reviews payment requests for accuracy, completeness, compliance, level of authorization and clarity on the invoices.
- Reviews disbursement requests for accuracy, documentation and validity; effect payment to the right vendor from the right project.
- Reviews accounts on regular basis to ensure the balances are complete and accurate;
- Recording of all program location financial transactions into the SOS financial recording, meeting all submission dates, and reporting requirements as required by the Program Accountant
- Assures accuracy of supporting documentation for accounting records;
- Organizes and maintain Accounting filling system;
- Follows-up on status with the Social Security (Pension) and Tax departments. Including depositing the checks and routine follow-up , registering new employees at Social Security (Pension) and Tax Departments;
- Prepares payroll and arranges timely payment of salaries.
- Follow-up and control payable and receivable accounts.
- Receives original transaction documents, checks completeness and correctness and passes them to immediate supervisor.
- Takes part in inventory taking and control of assets and stock items
- Assists the Program Accountant & Finance Manager in the Implementation of the internal control system and financial procedures manual of the organization.
- Provide technical support to the program location facilities in SOS Children’s Village Program (CVP) financial management related issues.
- Responsible to take part in awareness raising sessions and capacity building trainings in relation to Child Safeguarding to prevent and protect children and young people from all forms of abuse, abandonment, exploitation, violence and discrimination
- Support children and young people to make them understand the CS risks and protection mechanisms
- Responsible to report any CS suspicion, concern, allegation or incident immediately, following Child Safeguarding reporting procedures. CS reports should be made to the CS team at programme level and/or to the respective line manager
- Education: BA Degree in Accounting and Finance
- Experience: two years relevant work experience
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Sensitivity in cross-cultural communications.
- Ability to collect and analyze financial and other data in a clear and coherent manner
- Ability to organize and manage one’s own work with ability to prioritize and work under pressure
- Ability to work with children or vulnerable people in an appropriate and safe manner in accordance with the SOS CVE Child Protection Policy
- Accounting software knowledge
How to Apply
Then send us your application (application letter, detailed CV) electronically through SOS Children Villages Application portal (ICIMS) using the link below.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia holds strict child safeguarding principles and a zero-tolerance policy for conducts of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse in the workplace and other places where the organization’s activities are rendered. Parallel to technical competence, recruitment, selection and hiring decisions will give due emphasis to assessing candidates value congruence and thorough background checks, police clearance reference check processes.
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia provides equal employment opportunities to all co-workers & qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or class.