- Category: Accounting and Finance, Banking and Insurance, Development and Project Management
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa
- Position: Cash Based Program Specialist
- Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
- Employment Type: Contract
- Deadline: May 26, 2023
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ experience essential
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in micro-finance, rural development, banking, disaster risk management and emergency/humanitarian response project management and other related fields of studies.
- At least 5+ years of relevant experience out of which 3 years on a senior level experience (not necessarily gained in an NGO or INGO) or demonstrated equivalent combination.
- Experience of cash transfers and other social safety net programmes is an advantage.
- English and other local languages
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
The position holder will be responsible to manage all aspects of program delivery through cash based programming which is designed to respond to disaster affected communities both for the immediate needs and long term recoveries.
This role is primarily in charge for the implementation of cash transfer program from the initial feasibility and risk assessment stage to the selection of a delivery mechanism which includes liaising with the external finance service providers when appropriate.
The position holder spends most of his/her time in the field, identifying priority needs and target communities affected by natural and manmade crisis, conducting market assessment in the areas of needy community, conducting post distribution monitoring, establishing relationships with community, local government and leaders, overseeing field-level operations, such as the delivery of materials/inputs, registration of complaints and payment to beneficiaries.
Plan has a performance management and accountability matrix SOP. Every position holder is expected to adhere to the SOP and review and review her/his responsibility against the accountability matrix.
Project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation (20%)
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with organizational and statutory policies and laws on People and Culture legality matters and also has
- Responsible to ensure compliance of the design and implementation of emergency/recovery and resilience focused cash based responses in line with applicable government policies, guidelines and procedures.
Partnership and relationship management with donors, government, and financial institutions (20%)
- Represent Plan Ethiopia in humanitarian coordination meetings, taskforces, clusters, and technical working groups that are related to nutrition in emergency and recovery/resilience context
- Liaising with government ministries, offices and bureaus, financial institutions at federal and regional levels, and also with UN agencies, NGOs and other civic organizations.
Technical support to cash-based response programming at all levels (20%)
- Take the lead for managing as program specialist budget holder for emergency cash-based related programming
- Provide hands-on technical support to the field-based plan and other staff to ensure benefit of children affected by disasters,
Actively involve and participate on cash working groups cluster meetings at all levels (15%)
- Assist in building the capacity of cash working groups to effectively respond to emergency cash-related needs; with the overall objective of protecting, promoting and improving the livelihood status of children affected by and recovering from disasters/emergencies.
Documentation and sharing of best practices including post-distribution monitoring (15%)
- Document and shares lessons and insights from experiences and evaluation of cash-based programme and project effectiveness, feeding these into local, regional and global networks
Capacity building for field and partners staff (10%)
- Develops the technical capability of colleagues, front line staff and partners, and of other technical professionals in cash-based programme planning, implementation, M&E
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Leadership and Business management Competencies
- Courageous in taking a lead, focused on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work context.
- Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
- Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behaviour and speaks up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
- Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyse issues and improve things.
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Understanding relevant sectorial context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan’s purpose, values, and global strategy
- Managing legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
- Managing activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
- Managing people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Plan International’s Values in Practice
- We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
- We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
- We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
- We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is in May 26,2023. Qualified candidates should submit the application form found with this link
Internal Link: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=46706&company=PlanInt
External Link: https://jobs.plan-international.org/job/Addis-Ababa-Cash-Based-Program-Specialist/936796201/
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
More information about Plan International can be found on http://plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organization, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.