- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Assistant
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Junior Level (1+ – 2 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Oct 13, 2023
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
The purpose of the position is to ensure that all financial transactions of the program will be captured in the system; and that all tax-related commitments are settled and ready for future reference. Responsible for liaising finance dept. with Banks, Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority (ERCA), CHSA, etc. Responsible for depositing all payroll deductions and withholding tax timely. Responsible for checks sign-off by signatories, facilitating cash transfers to PAs, and collecting bank advice timely. Accordingly, the position holder is responsible for all record-keeping, reporting, and compliance issues of the program/project.
Transaction Processing, Liaise with Banks, Facilitate Cash Transfer & Collect Advice
- Post in the SAP system Staff provident Fund, Staff Saving and Loan Repayments, Income Tax, Pension, Withholding Tax, Stamp Revenue, and Cost Sharing.
- Prepare/post travel and work advance liquidations.
- Prepare/post any adjusting entries and reversals.
- Prepare the journal for uploading and post it in the SAP system.
- Responsible for handling Country Office petty cash fund.
- Effect petty cash level payments timely after checking all financial documents are reviewed and approved before releasing the payments.
- Ensure that the petty cash is spent only for Plan International Ethiopia’s Purpose.
- Responsible for managing a petty cash fund properly and replenishment when the fund rich the allowed limit.
- Follow up on cash arrival to our banks from IH, NO, and local sources.
- Responsible for collecting all income advice from all banks and submitting it for recording.
- Submit to Bank all transfers to suppliers, partners, and other stakeholders as required.
- Submit cash transfer letters to banks for all program areas, collect timely bank advice, and share with respective PAs for their filling.
- Facilitate cash Transfer Letters, Payrolls, Income Tax, Pension, Withholding Tax, Stamp Revenue, Cost Sharing payment sheets & letters, checks, and other documents signed by signatories and retain file copies of checks paid.
- Responsible for settling all CO government obligations on a timely basis.
- Responsible for collecting bank statements on a weekly basis from banks for all Plan International Ethiopia active bank accounts
- Raise Cash Receipts for any cash received by Plan International Ethiopia.
- Prepare deposit summary sheet for cash collected by CO.
- Deposit all collected cash at least twice a week to the organization’s bank account.
Facilitate Payments to Other External Organizations/ERCA and collect VAT refunds
- Deposits Income Tax, Pension Contribution, Staff provident Fund, Staff Saving and Loan Repayments, Stamp Revenue, Cost Sharing, and Withholding Tax timely to the appropriate Bank accounts and/or organizations.
- Raise Withholding Tax Receipts for vendors due to withholding tax deducted by Plan Ethiopia from vendors’ payments.
- Collect VAT refunds from USAID and any other organization.
Monthly Payment and Reporting
- Collect Plan Ethiopia bank statements on a monthly basis and put it on SharePoint.
- Upload petty cash expenses on the SAP system on a monthly basis.
- Put monthly petty cash count on SharePoint.
- Facilitate Plan International Ethiopia staff salary payment letters.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Dealing with Problems:
- The position requires planned, and unplanned travel to program Areas, emergency areas, and sub-offices to give support.
- High-level flexibility, performing with minimum supervision, and team working is required.
- This position requires rapid solution-providing, recommending, and problem-solving for any emergency response and development program implementation challenges as a departmental.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that all staff signed safeguarding policies;
- Implement Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
Educational Qualification and Experience:
- BA degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, and related fields with Two years of practical experience in a position in a similar organization.
- Basic knowledge of Finance role.
- High level of communication both written and oral.
- Excellent Knowledge of Computer applications like Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Fluency in the English language is essential
- Knowledge of Local language is desirable
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is October 13, 2023. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the links provided below.
For internal applicants:
For external applicants:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
- Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organization, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.