- Organization: Medical Teams International
- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Grants and Finance Officer
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Type: Full Time
- Number of Positons: 1
- Deadline: July 4, 2023
Contributing to MTI’s calling, the Grants and Finance Officer is part of the Finance team, reporting to the Finance Manager and working closely with the program and support department. He/she is responsible on ensuring accountability to donors charged with the responsibility of managing grant performance at a country level ensuring compliance with MTI and donor requirements. Supports Program and Finance Teams in the grant proposal process, grant budget monitoring and grant closeout.
Grant Proposal and Budget Development
- Collaborate with the program and operational staff to develop persuasive funding requests, including concept notes and grant proposals with compelling budget and budget narratives in line with donor requirements
- Participate in project design in coordination with the Program, Finance, and the HQ team
- Participate in any grant budget modifications whenever required in collaboration with Program and operation teams
- Facilitate grant opening (kick-off) meetings, orient staff on newly awarded grants including donor’s regulations, contractual specific terms, and conditions, reporting requirements, forms, and templates to be used.
- Donor & Sub-Partners Reporting and Receivables Management
- Manage the donor & Sub-Partners reporting schedule, ensuring timely and accurate reporting.
- Preparation of accurate and timely financial donor reports in accordance with donor requirements and project proposal.
- Coordinate with ERP manager/developers for the delivery of user-friendly reporting tools.
- Prepare and manage donor & sub-partners cash flows/installments tracking schedule against all signed donor contracts.
- Prepare donor & sub-partners invoices and request for cash disbursements from donors as per the project agreements.
- Prepare monthly donor & Sub-partners receivables aging schedule.
- Prepare periodic grants cash projections.
- Coordinate the setup of new grants/project budgets codes and budget lines in accounting system (Unit 4) in accordance with the approved budgets and instalment plan or cash flow forecast.
- Prepare monthly grants’ revenue recognition journal entries for posting in the accounting system.
- Prepare periodic grant administration charge or NICRA journal entries for posting in the ERP.
- Prepare the cost allocation schedules for shared costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs.
- Prepare monthly grant reclassification journal entries.
- In close coordination with the finance staff, ensure accuracy of data held in the accounting system and recommend necessary corrective journals.
Grant Monitoring and Compliance
- Spearhead grants compliance throughout the entire grant life cycle in line with donors’ and MTI’s requirements
- Reinforce consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant grant.
- Maintain a comprehensive donor and Sub-partners filing system with all approved/signed grant agreements, key correspondences, approved budgets, and any other key information
- Head monthly, quarterly, and annual grant analysis, review, and reporting. Producing monthly forecasts, pipeline analyses, burning rates and BVA reports. Analyze causes of variances and propose ways to improve them
- Maintain grants calendar including reporting deadlines, grant opening, reviews and closure; Maintain all hard copies and electronic grant files.
- Participate in donor and stakeholder meetings and provide information about required key deliverables and strategies for implementation and give or share feedback.
- Conduct grant monitoring visits to the field and prepare and follow up the action plan to all grant findings.
- In tandem with program and operations team, develop grant closeout check lists for each grant for a smooth, efficient, compliant, and timely closeout
- Perform all reconciliations, research, analyses and accounting adjustments necessary to bring private and public award net assets to zero in the General Ledger.
- Coordinates and performs the multiple step process of the financial closeout of projects including, coordinating closeout audit, closeout meeting, closing the grant in the UNIT4 and provide expertise on all closeout related matters
- Ensures compliance with MTI and donors’ policies and procedures, and that financial standards and requirements are met and managed for compliance before closeout
- Maintain a detailed grant closeout file and key correspondences within MTI and between MTI and the funder and other key stakeholders
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned
Workdays & Number of scheduled hours per week: Monday-Friday, 40-48 hours/week, occasional weekends, and public holidays
Travel: Occasional travel to field offices
LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting & Finance required
Master’s degree preferred.
Professional Certification and Membership preferred (CPA, ACCA, CFA, CIMA).
Minimum 3 years of progressive experience in grants management overseeing multi-donor project funds
Experience working with INGOs is an added advantage
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
In-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and relevant donor requirements (UNHCR, WFP, ECHO, USAID, etc.)
In-depth knowledge of audit practices
Knowledge of ERP systems and computerized accounting software such as Sage, Unit4, etc.
Skilled in conducting financial verification and advising on grant management
Skilled in developing budget proposals
Strong administrative skills in managing documentations and project funding information
Skilled in explaining financial procedures to non-finance staff
High degree of analytical and financial reporting skills
A good command of both written and spoken English, with strong interpersonal skills
Ability to respond to tight deadlines and changing priorities
Ability to maintain detailed records with high accuracy
Highly organized with good quantitative ability
Ability to act with integrity and maintain the highest ethical standards
Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information
Ability to support MTI Calling and adhere to the MTI Code of Conduct
This position requires frequent travel to health facilities located in remote areas with very basic living conditions.
NOTE: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by Medical Teams International as the requirements of the job change.
How to Apply
Submit your Cover Letter, CV and their Education and work documents via email: [email protected]
Note: Write the position title “Grants and Finance Officer” you are applying for.
Apply Now Deadline: June 5, 2023