- Category: Accounting and Finance, Human Resource and Recruitment, Management
- Position: Office Assistant
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Deadline: Sep 8, 2023
The Horn Centre for Democracy (HCD) established in Addis Ababa in 2022, is an independent, Board led not-for-profit policy advocacy and research institution, working to advance democracy, good governance, human rights, and inclusive citizens empowerment in the Horn of Africa region.
The main objective of the Center is to foster and entrench the culture of democracy, good governance, and inclusive citizens empowerment in the Horn of Africa countries, namely, Ethiopia, Kenya, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda.
The Office Assistant will be responsible for organizing the HCD office premises assisting staff and guests. He/She will provide administrative, kitchen management and clerical support and maintain an efficient office environment. This will include ensuring the cleaning, messenger service and support to the program and finance teams. The Office Assistant will need to be versatile, a good communicator and with experience in setting up a new office and managing a small team. Her/his main tasks will consist of, but are not limited to:
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff and Guest management
- Support in organizing meetings and workshops
- Assist with event planning and implementation
- Maintain office supplies, kitchen supplies etc.
- Provide messenger or courier service including performing work related errands as requested such as going to the post office and bank
- Keep office area clean and tidy
- Assist in basic procurement and logistics support processes
- Do all clerical work including managing mails, photocopying, maintaining office filing and storage systems
- Update and maintain databases such as mailing lists, contact lists and Letter Registry
- Support in travel arrangements for staff and event participants, including flight/hotel booking and settlements
- Assisting the finance team
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Programme and Administration Manager.
Reports To: Programme and Administration Director
Terms and Conditions
Duration: One year with possibility of extension (depending on funding)
- Diploma or Degree in one of the following disciplines: Accounting, Human Resource Management, Business Administration, or a related field.
- 4+ years of experience in an office setting, preferably an NGO/CSO
- Knowledge of the HR and Finance regulations in Ethiopia, with a good understanding of the tax and other permit issuing government offices
- Excellent communication, problem solving, interpersonal and networking skills
- Experience in successfully operating and communicating in an environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures is desired
- Attention to detail, ability to think strategically and to plan and prioritise work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) and Typing in Amharic is required
- Good command of the English language is required
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Opportunity to be part of a strong team and grow professionally
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and a cover letter in English at [email protected] (Ref: please use the specific job title applied for)
Deadline for applications: 8th September 2023
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. We thank you for your interest and look forward to receiving your application.