- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Assistant Accountant
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Aug 13, 2023
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity began in 1976 as a grassroots effort on a community farm in southern Georgia. The organization has since grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in nearly 1,400 communities throughout the U.S. and in nearly 70 countries. Families and individuals in need of a hand up partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Through financial support, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability, and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia (HFHE) started operation in 1993 as a branch of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI). HFHE has provided simple, affordable shelter for families in Ethiopia while also working to improve Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and empower Vulnerable Groups in the country.
As the Assistant Accountant at Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia, you will play a vital role in supporting the organization’s financial operations. Working with the finance team and reporting to the accountants, the assistant accountant will be primarily responsible for preparing payment vouchers and handling of financial records in an orderly and professional manner. This involves handling cheque books, preparing vouchers; and arranging, filing, and properly labelling financial records in an easily retrieved and professional manner. It also involves collecting bank advice and issuing the cash receipt to vendors and collecting bank statements on behalf of HFHE and accomplishing banking transactions.
Detailed Job Description:
1. Assist in Financial Record-Keeping:
- Assist in verifying and reconciling financial transactions, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Assist in the preparation and posting of journal entries as necessary.
2. Accounts Payable and Receivable:
- Assist in reviewing vendor invoices and employee expense reports, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
3. Assist in Cash and Bank Management:
- Assist in the management of the organization’s cash flow and cash transactions.
- Assist in reconciling bank statements and ensure proper recording of bank transactions.
- Assist in the maintenance and updating of the cash and bank registers.
- Manage petty cash accounting.
- Make payments for training participants on site.
- Follow up readily issued cheque and long outstanding cheque to be withdrawal from bank via calling to HFHE suppliers or payees.
- Manage the payment of all statutory taxes (income tax, withholding tax, pension, etc.) to the relevant government offices.
- Assist sale of bid documents by collecting bank advice from the vendors and write or give Cash Receipt Vouchers (CRV).
4. Financial Compliance:
- Assist in ensuring compliance with financial policies, procedures, and accounting principles.
- Assist in preparing for audits and provide necessary documentation to auditors.
- Help ensure that all financial activities adhere to legal and regulatory requirements.
5. Documentation and Filing:
- Organize and maintain financial documents, ensuring they are properly filed and easily accessible.
- Create and maintain a well-organized archive of financial records.
- Digitally store all financial records and assist in responding to grant audit queries related to scanning financial documents.
- Handle payment stamps, provide a sequential reference number to each voucher, and prepare papers for audit purposes.
6. Administrative Support:
- Provide administrative assistance to the Finance Manager and other team members as needed.
- Assist in other finance-related tasks and projects as assigned.
- Reporting Line: Accountant
- Duty Station: Addis Ababa, with frequent field travel as required.
- Duration of Contract: Three months
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, or Accounting & Finance field.
- At least 2 years of experience as an Accountant or Assistant Accountant.
- Proficient in SUN accounting software and Microsoft Office applications is advantageous.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and financial reporting.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in data entry.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Knowledge of local financial regulations and compliance requirements is desirable.
How to Apply
The ideal candidates are expected to be active supporters of HFHI’s Core Values:
- Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves.
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular.
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission.
Safeguarding: HFHE requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation, and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
Interested applicants are invited to send their non–returnable application by quoting the position in the subject matter including updated CV and application and contact details of three work related referees, (including HR and Immediate supervisor) you can submit your application through [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until August 12, 2023, at 04:30 p.m. .
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further screening.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.