Position: Junior Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: November 20, 2023
Energising Development (EnDev) Ethiopia – Climate Change Cluster
Application deadline: 20.10.2023
Contract end date: 31.12.2024
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives.
In this regard, GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the commission of other international donors.
GIZ is implementing various energy projects in Ethiopia to support a sustainable supply of energy services. This is intended to contribute to Ethiopia’s national strategies (National Electrification Plan, Growth & Transformation Plan, Climate Resilient Green Economy).
Energising Development (EnDev) is an international flagship programme for providing energy access. 760 million people worldwide live without electricity and about 2.6 billion people lack access to clean cookstoves. EnDev focuses on providing access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy as a means to deliver social, economic, and environmental change in more than 20 countries worldwide. EnDev is currently financed by four donor countries – the Netherlands, Germany, Norway and Switzerland with additional donor EU in Ethiopia. In Ethiopia, Energising Development (EnDev) is implemented and coordinated by GIZ and supports sustainable energy access in two main components: Clean Cooking and Rural Electrification. Target groups are lower-income households, social institutions and small to medium sized enterprises, mostly in rural areas.
To support the implementation of EnDev Ethiopia to effectively, monitor and evaluate the programme implementation and outputs, apply Results-Based Monitoring and other approaches to constantly improve programme results.
- Supporting the projects’ objectives by developing and implementing M&E framework in close cooperation with partners and project component.
- Implementing EnDev’s Knowledge Management Strategy and lead knowledge management processes.
- Act as Gender Focal person for EnDev
- Carrying out routine field visits, capture EnDev’s work in the field and produce communication products.
- Any other duties that may develop throughout the contract period and are assigned by the supervisor.
- Provide technical support towards the management of the M&E/Results-Based Monitoring system.
- Identify and triangulate M&E findings, lessons learned and recommendations and avail results for decision-making processes.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/Semi-annual and annual monitoring reports and synthesize data at program level.
- Coordinate with program team/ M&E Manager to conduct data quality assessments for a sample of performance indicators and results reported to EnDev.
- Support the implementation and the management of the M&E-System according to GIZ standards and requirements;
- Support the monitoring of programme activities towards the achievement of indicators, including data collection for indicators, data analysis, report writing and dissemination of results;
- Ensuring partners have reported timeously and data meets GIZ data quality standards.
- Project management support to the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist in terms of specific tasks required for project implementation, developing work schedules and other project management related documents including reporting schedules from providers; organizing and delivery of tasks related to project implementation etc.
- Assist in the liaison with the relevant stakeholders during the project and participate in relevant project steering meetings and other relevant stakeholder meetings as required.
- Plan and arrange meetings, workshops and keep record of proceedings when requested.
- Contribute to tasks concerning knowledge management for the project.
- Ensure that data management of the results and the achievements within the outputs is aligned to the M&E-Systems and that the data flow from the outputs into the system is soundly performed and meets the requirements of a high standard of data management.
- Assist in building and strengthening capacities in the team and other project teams for gender-sensitive M&E and Learner Tracing.
- Oversee monthly data collection and conduct regular data verification checks.
- EnDev Ethiopia is currently looking for one qualified candidate to work as Junior Advisor – Sustainable Energy (M&E) for EnDev Programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, statistics, international development, or any related field
Professional experience and competencies
- Minimum one year of professional experience.
- Experience in working with international organizations, particularly GIZ will be advantageous.
- Fully proficient computer skills, especially Excel programming and use of relevant software and other applications strong analytical, research and documentation skills.
- Conversant with virtual communication software as MS Teams and skype.
- The ability to assimilate large amounts of information and present in an accessible manner.
- Ability to apply good judgement in the context of assignments given, ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work within a team; can work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Excellent conceptual, organizational, moderation, presentation and communication skills, and confidence to present the project, are vital for the position.
- Fluent in English and Amharic and show competence in working in different and international teams.
- Fluent in other languages (eg. German) is an added advantage.
- Willingness to frequently travel to other regions in Ethiopia.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified Female candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their recent CV to: [email protected].
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position ‘Junior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor #193/2023’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to the large number of applications, we categorize applications with vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In the case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”