- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Assistant
- Location: Afar, Afar
- Career Level: Junior Level (1+ – 2 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary: USD 326.00 to USD 396.00
- Deadline: Jul 17, 2023
Title: Finance Assistant
Employment Category: I2
Reporting To: Base Manager
Posting date: July 5, 2023
Required Employee: 1
Salary: USD 326.00 to USD 396.00 based on you work experience and educational qualification.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Finance Assistant (FA) supports the DRC Afar field office in relation to all financial aspects of the project. The FA with guidance from the Finance Officer will ensure efficient and effective financial operations of DRC Afar field office and the project activities. She/he will ensure compliance with DRC Operations Handbook alongside donor policies, procedures, guidelines and rules. She/he will seek and receive policy guidance/ instructions and support from the Finance Officer, Support Service Manager, and CO Finance team.
- Support the Finance Officer to ensure weekly cash forecast/requirements are compiled for all departments.
- Ensure adequate Petty cash is kept in office to cater small time expenditures as per the Finance procedures.
- Prepare petty cash replenishment and update cash counts on weekly basis.
- Follow up with the bank on receipt and attached supporting docs.
- Processing payment and ensure all cheque and receipts are kept.
Finance and Accounting
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC financial handbook.
- Assist in implementation of finance policies, procedures and systems.
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.)
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern (Invoicing, VenPay, Journals, etc…).
- Prepare monthly and weekly cash counts for office on last working day of the week and submit to CO Finance Controller.
- Ensures that all documents are correct before paying and are carefully reviewed based on DRC Financial procedure.
- Ensures that the cash advance taken to the field are properly liquidated in due cause.
- Compile all taxes (Income Tax, Withholding Tax, Pension) and proceed for the remittance to relevant tax authorities on time to avoid any penalties.
- Scan all financial records of Afar area office and ensure that they are attached to related voucher in Dynamics.
Other supports required for this position:
- Provide technical support to the program/Support team of Afar base, if required.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Minimize Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Country Office finance archive.
- Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Verify all procurement transaction documents like PR as per DRC BFU and Budget lines.
- Ensure completeness and accuracy (quality) of financial transactions through detailed review of procurement and payment request documents.
- Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit processes.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in finance/accounting/bookkeeping in an INGO
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (Experience in working with formulas)
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in local language
- Experience in working in NGOs
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- BA Degree in Accounting, finance and related fields
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English
- Knowledge of Afar language is an advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=168576&DepartmentId=19012&SkipAdvertisement=true under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than July 17, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender-gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.