- Category: Accounting and Finance
- Position: Finance Specialist – Budgeting and Reporting
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Salary: USD 946.00-1,151.00 per month which specific amount will be determined up on candidates experience and educational relevancy
- Deadline: Oct 21, 2023
Title: Finance Specialist – Budgeting and Reporting
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Category: G2
Salary Range: USD 946.00 – 1,151.00 per month which specific amount will be determined up on candidates experience and educational relevancy
Reporting To: Deputy Finance Manager
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Posting date: October 6, 2023
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Finance Specialist – budgeting and reporting has the overall responsibility for the projects monthly closing and updating the Budget Follow Up tools, review meetings and reporting. Providing overall advice, coordination and technical support to the Finance and Program teams across the country and ensuring compliance with the finance chapters of DRC’s Operations Handbook, the Donor’s Guidelines and ensure financial information quality and correct allocation
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
Management and Support
- Provide technical support and advice to the Finance teams, Support and Program Teams on financial, budgeting and budget follow-up.
- Provide technical support in the ERP System (Microsoft Dynamics) on the Project & Accounting modules when needed.
- Train and support the finance team and budget holders in DRC Dynamics functionalities in the areas of concern.
- Provide support to field finance teams and regularly travel to make sure financial procedures are respected in each field office.
- Proactively identify and act upon capacity building needs of non-finance staff providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that non-finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
- Conduct training for Budget Holders, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook.
Budget control, planning and reporting
- Build budget proposals, including budgeting for support costs for the Country Office, collaboration with the programme managers and support services functions.
- Responsible and ensure on time creation of projects, budget forecast and/or budget modification in Dynamics according to the budget structures approved by Donors, in conformity with budget holding policies, resource scheduling and use of cost categories.
- Proceed to the creation of co-funding parameters between projects and those cost entries are correctly registered as co-funding in Dynamics.
- Assist for timely delivery of accurate and quality financial reports including institutional donor reports where required for all projects implemented in the country, in the required formats and the internal reports to colleagues and HQ.
- Review and validation of project financial reports for compliance with DRC’s Operations handbook and donor policies and procedures (ie: budget flexibility, eligible costs, report format, etc) prior submission to HQ and donors.
- Ensure that BFU tool is updated monthly, including accounting and provisions.
- Review Budget Follow Up/Transaction details for all projects and in coordination with the relevant program managers, ensure postings are done correctly, overspending’s are rebooked on monthly basis
- Ensure monthly meetings are held with project managers to discuss key variances, reasons for these, and any remedial action that is required.
- Work closely with program team during preparing project forecast and make sure the allocation of staff/other expenses are accurate.
- Support Deputy Finance Manager in financial analysis, master budget preparation, gap analysis and in budget re-alignment.
- Follow-up on the expected instalments from donors on a monthly basis and ensured that they are recorded in GMS.
- For every instalment received, collect the bank document and instalment receipt.
- Work closely with the Implementing Partners and program platforms to improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures in line with requirements of DRC and donor.
- Proceed to the implementing partner reports supervision, request for corrections, and consolidation of their accounting in Dynamics.
- Support area offices and program staff in preparing and reviewing partner financial reporting.
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building, provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Ensure all the partner related documentation is maintained in grant Modules in collaboration with the grants team.
- Support the financial audits by coordinating inputs from the finance, procurement, and HR departments.
- Support Finance Manager in internal and external audit processes by ensuring all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with area staff and country office staffs.
- Engage with auditors and DRC colleagues on HQ, the regional, and other country offices and maintain productive communication and relationships.
- Ensure all required documentation for financial internal and external audits are reviewed and organized by project when an audit takes place.
- Follow up on internal and external audit recommendations in collaboration with management and each office.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 3 years’ proven progressive experience in finance related positions
- Proven experience in working donor budget and reporting for DANIDA/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN grants.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of donor compliance and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work under pressure
- Excellent skills in the use of computers (MS Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Experience in working with an ERP system.
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, financial management or related field
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Strong command of spoken and written English
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspxcid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=169350under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated email address no later than October 21, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gendergap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.