- Category: Engineering, Health Care, Social Sciences and Community
- Position: BDU-USAID Response Leadership Activity Second Cohort Fellowship Announcemen
- Location: Dessie
- Career Level: Entry Level (Fresh Graduate)
- Deadline: Oct 15, 2023
Second Cohort Fellowship Announcement
Bahir Dar University is implementing a five year national project titled USAID Response Leadership Activity in partnership with 11 public universities, 7 ATVETs and three key host organizations. The project signed on July 27/2022 to be implemented for the next consecutive years. This project aimed to build the next young generation of Disaster Risk Management (DRM) professionals by equipping them with the skills that they need through a two years fellowship program to actively engage in the Disaster Risk Management system. As it is known, in the first cohort fellowship program, 150 fellows of Disaster Risk Management and related graduate professionals were allocated at various levels of Government organizations, and fellows received short-term training to improve their skills and competencies and to get ready for their workplace skills. The second cohort fellowship program will host 150 fellows graduated from Partner Universities in different fields of study based on the host organization demands during human resource need assessment. The application for USAID Response Leadership Activity’s Second Cohort fellowship program is open to all eligible applicants graduated from partner universities regardless of their race/ethnicity, age, religion, geographic location, socioeconomic status, disability, or gender identity.
- The fellowship program aims to build the next young generation of Disaster Risk Management and related professionals who are capable enough to shoulder the current Disaster Risk Management demand of Ethiopia and to fill the professional gap in the sector. During the two years fellowship program, fellows will have a chance to build their capacity through short term tailor made trainings, on job training, professional development, Disaster Risk Management Leadership opportunity and networking in their work place.
- The program will provide monthly stipend to cover the expenses of successful fellows
- The fellows will be provided short term training and placed in different Government organizations to practice and improve their professional skills through on job training, and mentorship.
Expected Commitments of fellows
- Willing to work with any Government organizations at all levels in Ethiopia
- Willing to work in remote areas where vacant positions are available
- Willing to work cooperatively in diverse groups and to respect the culture, norms and opinions of others in the workplace
- Prepare weekly attendance and monthly reports reflecting learning and job experiences.
- Willing to adhere to the universities and their host organization code of conduct, values and principles.
- Recent Graduates: The most recent first-degree graduates (2020 to 2023) in eligible fields of study graduated from Bahir Dar University, Ambo University, Gambella University, University of Gondar, Wollo University, Samera University, Jigjiga University, Mekelle University, Hawassa University, Jimma University, and Arba Minch University. Priority will be given for very recent graduates, when the numbers of applicants are increased.
- BA/BSc graduates: First Degree graduates with Disaster Risk Management and Sustainable Development, Health Officer, Public Health, Occupational Safety and Health, Plant Science, Animal Science, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Health Science, Environmental Science, Food and Nutrition, Management, Economics, Water resource and hydraulics engineering, Industrial engineering, Civil engineering, Information Communication Technology, Computer Sciences, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and Computer engineering.
- Candidates who have passed the Ministry of Education Exit Exam (Note: this is only for this year fresh graduates (2022/23))
- Unemployed youth: Candidates who are unemployed and can provide unemployment letter from authorized government offices (Residence Kebele Administration).
- Language Proficient: Candidates who are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English. Candidates who are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking working language of the specific region to be assigned is highly desirable.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Special Application Option for Applicants from Amhara Region
Due to the current state of emergency declaration as there is NO internet access in Amhara Region, applicants located ONLY in Amhara are eligible to submit a manual application.
To do so, please follow these steps:
- The candidates from Amhara Region should get/collect the hard copy application form from one of the following offices: University of Gondar, Wollo University, Bahir Dar University, and/or Zone Disaster Risk Management and Food Security Coordination Office
- Complete the form as per the application instructions.
- Submit the completed application form and required documents in a sealed envelope to the office you got the form from. You should write the applicant’s address on the envelope i.e. Full Name, Phone number, Zone & Woreda.
- However, for eligible candidates who will get access to Internet, it is highly encouraged and preferable to submit an online application.
E For applicants who prefer to submit the application to one of the three partner universities in Amhara region can get the application for as per the contact address below:
1. University of Gondar
Community Service Directorate Office
Office Number: 52, President Office Building, Main Campus
Tel: 0937402246, Gondar
2. Wollo University
Block Number: 08
Office Number: 206
Dr. Girma Moges
Tel: 0911336291, Dessie
3. Bahir Dar University,
Department of Disaster Risk Management and Sustainable Development
Office Number: 129
Tel: 0946967429, Bahir Dar
E For applicants who prefer to submit the application to Zonal Disaster Risk Management and Food Security Coordination Office the specific address of the application location will be indicated in the notice board of the respective organizations.
For more information, please contact: Dr. Abraham Mebrat,
Tel: 251 911 104685