- Position: Junior WASH Officer
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Availability: As soon as possible
- Salary: $374.00
- Deadline: November 13, 2023
About Action Against Hunger
Action Against Hunger-USA is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children and we enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 8,000 staff in over 50 countries, our programs reached 17+ million people yearly.
About the Country Program in Ethiopia
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions (Oromia, Somali, Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, and Gambella) with a portfolio of 20m USD/year of emergency, resilience building, research, and innovation programs. We have a country team of around 600 staff in 17 regional and satellite offices. Our main donors in Ethiopia in 2020/2021 are BHA, ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, UNICEF, GFFO, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP, CIAA, The Netherlands (Dutch) Government and others.
Summary of the Position
Under the direct supervision of the /Deputy Head of the WASH Department and in collaboration with other WASH Technical experts based at the capital level, the Junior WASH Officer will provide technical assistance and support in the designing, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and coordination of WASH projects/programs. S/he will be primarily responsible for assisting capital based WASH Experts with the regular monitoring of project implementation and program quality assurance measures.
The Junior WASH Officer will effectively support capital based WASH teams in WASH program implementation such as water supply, WASH NFI, Hygiene Promotion and Sanitation; monitoring and reporting and intra departmental and external coordination, provide guidance and receive reports from field team, ensuring timely submission of program data. Moreover, s/he is expected to use and share standardized tools, formats, guidelines and service delivery approach to field team.
The Junior WASH Officer will engage with WASH team based in capital and field levels for a smooth and effective implementation of prioritized departmental initiatives, programs and projects. Moreover, s/he is likely to work closely and interact with other departments in Action Against Hunger such as H&N, MEAL, Grants and Reporting and Protection whenever needed.
The Juniors WASH officer will be responsible for supporting WASH department team in the delivery of high quality WASH program data including APRs, reports and tools and timely submission of reports to coordination platforms and regular attendance of sectoral and cluster coordination’s and provide timely activity info updates. S/he will receive reporting tools and technical guidelines from technical advisors and other platforms and share to field team and follow-up their utilization and update the capital team.
Essential Job Duties
1. Contribute to the overall WASH activities implementations
- Conduct need assessments and propose activities as per the identified need.
- In collaboration of WASH team participate in feasibility, midline and end line WASH surveys and assessments
- Assist in developing of implementation plan on construction/rehabilitation and hygiene promotion activities
- Contribute in proposal design (beneficiary estimation, bill of quantity and design preparation) in consultation with Program Managers and capital based technical experts
- Ensure the WASH activity implementations are as per the standard quality and implementation plan
- Assist WASH team in organizing and booking nutrition and health program review meetings, workshops and trainings in consultation with Nutrition and Health experts
- Conduct field visits to bases with apparent capacity gaps in reporting
- Provide updates on challenges and lessons learnt to WASH on reporting
- Assist technical experts in fostering innovative solutions, approaches and working styles
2. Support WASH Program in data collection, analysis, reporting and documentation.
- Support WASH annual beneficiary compilation and reporting
- Review Activity Progress Report (APR) monthly and provide constructive feedbacks
- Reviewing program based success stories and lessons and share to WASH Experts
- Review donor report and data together with MEAL and Grants and reporting team and provide feedback to WASH team for validation.
3. Plan, implement, monitor and report hygiene and sanitation promotion activities
- Identify needs, and provide feedback for WASH staffs to conduct technical training for the community, government staffs,
- Assess gaps, plan, assist the base team to organize and implement context-specific hygiene promotion activities at community, health institutions and schools by using innovative approaches and standard tools such as CLTS, PHAST, CHAST
- Follow up the adoption of Wash’Em, BabyWASH and WASHFIT by collaborating with capital WASH team and base WASH PMs for effective hygiene promotion
- Follow up plans and distribution of NFIs for the intended emergency-affected beneficiaries by collaborating with base WASH team
- Organize and ensure the proper documentation and reporting of hygiene promotion activities, NFI distributions, assessments and capacity of different programs
4. Support and engagement in internal and external coordination meetings and workshops
- Attend regular WASH cluster meetings in consultation with WASH team
- Prepare and provide monthly updates, Activity-info on WASH clusters at different level
- Closely work with MEAL and other departments on quality improvement initiatives
- Organize joint assessments and supportive supervision with H&N, MEAL, Emergency Preparedness and Response, FSL and Protection team in coordination with other WASH team
Gender Equality Commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion. race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Graduate Degree from a recognized university in Water Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Public Health
- Graduates with strong interest and some work experience in WASH sector
Required Skills & Experience
- One year professional experience in the field of WASH and related field of study.
- Experienced in organizing and participating in field-level construction supervision and follow-up
- Knowledge of national and international WASH standards
- Knowledge and skill of MS Office Suite is mandatory.
- Proficient and fluency in English is mandatory. Local language skill, including Amharic is a plus.
- Fluency (written and Spoken) in English is required. Amharic and any other local languages desirable.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize multiple tasks as well as self-direct with minimum supervision.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the opportunity, the mission and principles of Action Against Hunger.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, Covering Letter with Junior Wash Officer -Addis Ababa” written in the subject line, and three references, applying directly through ethiojobs.net
NB: Only short listed applicants will be communicated and selection process includes technical test and an interview.