- Category: Accounting and Finance, Health Care
- Position: Finance Officer- Grant (Retainer)
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Seasonal
- Deadline: Oct 15, 2023
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) exciting career opportunity.
UNOPS-ETMCO is recruiting for this position: Finance Officer – Grant (Retainer) based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Qualified females and candidates from underrepresented groups in UNOPS are highly encouraged to apply.
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Ethiopia Multi-country office (ETMCO) sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Addis Ababa which manages a portfolio of engagements in four (4) Horn of Africa countries (Ethiopia, Djibouti, Sudan and South Sudan). ETMCO focuses on Infrastructure, Procurement, Project Management, HR and Transactional Services, and Fund Management services across a wide range of sectors including Health, Education, Agriculture, Resilient infrastructure among others.
Our goal is to support countries, help people in need and enable our partners through delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management in the countries in the Horn of Africa. Building on our global experience successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
UNOPS has signed a project agreement with the Ministry of Health to strengthen the Capacity of the Ministry for the Realization of Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) on selected priorities. This project will be implemented in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and the overall objective/purpose is to contribute towards the realization of selected strategic priorities of the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP-II) which is more on project management focusing on institutional capacity building, technical assistance etc. UNOPS is selected to manage and implement the project by creating a project management unit (PMU).
This unit will be formed by a group of experts and specialists in the relevant matters that will be in charge of delivering the outputs.
The Finance Officer will report to the UNOPS Project Manager, and will be working day-to-day in close and collaboration with the client institution, particularly the Ethiopian Pharmaceutical Supply Service (EPSS). The PM will also gather feedback from the client to manage and assess the deliverables.
- Improve Health Financing
Scope of Work/ Objective
The objective of this position is to provide technical assistance support to EPSS finance staff in the implementation of the grants financial management system as per policy and procedure of the Service and donor requirements.
- Support the application of proper financial management system for donor funds at Addis Ababa, Adama, Mekelle, Dire Dawa, Arba Minch, Jimma, Negele Borena, Semera, Kebri Dahar
- Support the establishment, maintenance and coordination of accounting control procedures, financial database, computer software systems and filing systems
- Standardize procedures and recorded step-by-step tasks for future and end-to-end ERP requirements, reversing a chaotic consolidation process to one of accuracy and quality;
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports;
- Support in preparing accounts for internal and external audit;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors to complete audits; as well as between the business functions and the technical implementation team.
- Support in implementing actions from audit findings and recommendations
- Support the timely provision, settlement, and reconciliation of procurement advances
- Support on designing and follow-up implementation of proper internal control procedures to secure resources
- Monitor, analyze and review budget and expenditure, and accounting-related system reports for accuracy and completeness, support in resolving discrepancies
- Support in harmonizing financial reporting system of government and donor funds,
- Support the management of the financial resources from the Global Fund including the grant closure process
- Supervise the input and handling of financial data and report for the company automated financial system
- Support resource mobilization efforts of the EPSS through participating in the development concept notes;
- Participate actively in the implementation of SAP FICO Modules and support of SAP Financials (focus on FICO Controlling – Cost Center Accounting, Profit Center Accounting, Product Costing, Profitability Analysis, Project System, Results Analysis, Unsettled Costs, Month End, Close, Overhead assessment and settlement.)
- Support the design, customize, configure and testing SAP FICO modules, identifying gaps, issues and working around solutions.
- Provide SAP ad-hoc training and user support as required
- Support learning and skill transfer through trainings, and other learning initiatives with EPSS staff
- Perform other duties within the objective and scope of the role
- Reconciled timely financial and programmatic reports are prepared and submitted
- Proper procedures are followed and ascertained in the process of reprogramming and reallocation of grants
- Standardized operating procedures are developed and monitored for implementation
- System for integrated financial management of EPSS implemented
- Monthly and quarterly progress report submitted
The above deliverables are only indicative and are subject to change within the scope of role.
- A first University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related discipline is required. OR
- Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or a related discipline is desirable.
- Certifications/ professional qualification in CPA, ACCA, CIMA or similar field is an asset
- A minimum of two (2) years professional relevant work experience working in financial management, financial utilizations of project is required
- Work experience with proven ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports and projections is an asset
- Knowledge of government finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control system including financial regulations is desirable
- Ability to promote teamwork in the Ministry of Health and other stakeholders is an asset
- Competency in the use of computer software internet and computer-based management tools is desirable
- Familiarity with health systems policies and sectoral reform processes; good skill in accounting software like Peachtree and other computerized accounting software is an added advantage
- Fluency in spoken, written and reading English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should use the link below to apply.