- Category: Accounting and Finance, Business and Administration
- Position: Finance and Operations Officer
- Location: Bahir Dar, Amhara
- Career Level: Mid Level ( 2+ – 5 years experience)
- Employment Type: Full time
- Deadline: Sep 4, 2023
Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” In 16 years, we have reached over 700,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE, (WASH in Schools for Everyone), to reach every government school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Kolkata, India with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. This project will benefit 800,000 children by 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
· People – People first. People second. People third.
· Quality – Beautiful products that function and last.
· Honesty – No drama, no surprises, no BS.
· Joy – Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
· Mistakes – Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment. To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
This position is based in Bahir Dar, Amhara Region, Ethiopia.
The Finance and Operations Officer will be responsible for maintaining effective transaction processing systems and accurate records, verifying invoices, participating in budget preparations; handling people and culture needs; managing assets (fleet, inventory, and fixed assets) and transport and travel; ensuring effective and procurement in the Regional Office. The incumbent will handle the finance and operations workflow of the Regional Office and optimize day-to-day activities. Working closely with the Finance, Operations, and People and Culture teams in Addis Ababa, and Regional Team in Bahir Dar, s/he will ensure timely and accurate accounting, internal and external financial and operational reporting, and compliance with internal Splash, donor, and country-specific policies, requirements, and regulations.
The Finance and Operations Officer reports directly to the Regional Director, Bahir Dar.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
· Keep accurate records for all daily business transactions using accounting software.
· Verify invoices while coding and recording in the books of account.
· Stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations; compile and follow all applicable local policies;
· Archive all finance documents and ensure that they are in safe custody and easily accessible by the finance team.
· Scanning finance documents and loading them into the SharePoint as required
· Provide inputs for the revision of chart of account when needed.
· Record accruals, inventory, fixed assets, accounts payable and accounts receivable in a timely manner
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and participate in the external audit process.
· Prepare people reports including staff changes, reconcile bank statements, assist with budget preparation, and prepare assets (inventory and fixed assets) reports and address audit findings.
· Prepare, review, and send monthly cash flow projections and submit the request to the Country office.
· Prepare Government Financial Reports in the correct format on a quarterly basis.
· Support the training of implementing partner capacity building.
· Manage all procurement processes. This will include procurement related to Splash’s full scope of water, sanitation, hygiene, and menstrual health programming at schools in BJR. It will also include international logistics and other procurements, facilitating specifications and regulatory information, developing RFP/RFQ’s for goods and services, contract Administration, and procurement policy monitoring and compliance.
· Improve productivity and efficiency and reduce costs while securing high quality materials for local partners.
· Participate in regular assets checks and annual physical verification count.
· Ensure that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly.
· Record and report any broken, damaged, or destroyed asset or equipment.
· Ensure that all vehicles have proper documentation including log sheets, maintenance record and renewed insurances.
· Schedule vehicles utilization plan to meet programmatic and operational needs.
· Monitor vehicle regular maintenance, fuel consumption, trip schedules to meet programmatic and operational needs.
· Facilitate and ensure timely supply of office consumables (stationary, refreshment, cleaning, and hygiene supplies) and monitor their use.
· Facilitate and management office cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply, facility keys management, etc.
· Administrate and ensure functionality of internet connectivity, printers, and copiers and facilitate monthly voice, data, and Mi-Fi internet package for staff.
· Facilitate program logistics and administrative, scheduling facilities, meeting, and travel arrangements.
· Receive and send documents or parcels by courier service and distribute the mail to whoever is listed on the internal contents.
People and Culture
· Be responsible for all People and Culture duties of the Regional Office with close support of the Senior People and Culture Manager in Addis Ababa, and they will be governed by Splash’s Employee Handbook
· In coordination with the Senior Manager, P&C in Addis Ababa, deliver HR management, including policy, process, and employee relations management.
· Handle HR-related administrative duties and ensure compliance with existing legal and governmental reporting requirements. Ensuring all legal obligations are fulfilled.
· Maintain accurate and complete HR data and personnel files. Assist in implementation, administration, and compliance tracking for HR-related guidelines, policies, and procedures.
· Advertise the vacant positions in available online platforms (e. g., https://www.ethiojobs.net/) and/or other print media and in the Office and public spaces to increase the visibility of the vacancies for local candidates.
· Send payroll inputs (e.g., advance, absences, abscondence, letters, court orders, and standing instructions) to the Senior People and Culture Manager not later than the 20th of the month for verification and onward submission to Finance for payroll processing.
· Pay taxes and pensions of Amhara-based staff in Bahir Dar as per the legal requirement by liaising with the Senior Finance Manager and Senior People & Culture Manager to get the relevant information and documents monthly for tax filing and payments before the last week of the following month.
Note: This job description is not exhaustive and hence subject to revision based on the needs of the organization.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Supply Chain management, Human Resources, or Business Management, plus three years’ related work experience including demonstrated experience in finance and operations.
· At least 3 years of relevant work experience
· Demonstrated experience in transaction processing (coding, posting, and reporting) and the acquisition of equipment, goods, and services.
· Experience as an HR generalist, including recruitment, performance management, employee relations, compensation, training and development and HR Administration.
· Solid technology skills including a high level of proficiency in MS Office and some familiarity with cloud-based software.
· Professional level of verbal and written fluency in English and Amharic
· Analytical ability in creating effective Finance & Operation solutions while adhering to local laws and regulations.
· You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness, and sound judgment.
· You demonstrate excellent organizational skills, self-motivation, flexibility, and the ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, energetic, entrepreneurial environment.
· You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust with a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
· You enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from and developing others.
· Innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives.
· You think critically and put a high value on offering and receiving constructive feedback.
· You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve.
· You represent Splash in a professional and positive way, communicating with partners and co-workers with a high level of respect.
· You are willing and able to participate in meetings outside of normal business hours, as needed.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply online in https://www.ethiojobs.net or submit in person to our Regional Office in Bahir Dar at Mulu Belew Building (Tinkish), Next to Tana Hayik Secondary School, Bahir Dar, Kebele 13, HNo. A-217.