- Category: Accounting and Finance, Management
- Position: Finance Intern
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Entry Level (Fresh Graduate)
- Employment Type: Internship
- Deadline: Aug 2, 2023
- TEAM/PROGRAMME: Finance
- LOCATION: Addis Ababa
- POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post holder may require to have regular contact or access to children or young people
Save the Children is an International humanitarian, child-centered, development organization, without religious, political or governmental affiliation.
A person name Eglantyne Jebb and her sister Dorothy Buxton founded the first Save the Children organization in May 1919, in London, United Kingdom. Shocked by the aftermath of World War 1 and the Russian Revolution, they were determined to improve children’s lives. Their goal was to create ‘a powerful international organization, which would extend its ramifications to the remotest corner of the globe’. The plan began to take shape when Radda Barnen (Save the Children) was established in Sweden in 1919.
In 1920, the International Save the Children Union was founded in Geneva by two organizations, together with a number of other bodies working for children – some using the Save the Children name or a local variant. Over the years, Save the Children Members were created around the world, embodying Eglantyne and Dorothy’s vision. These organizations shared a common aim – to improve the lives of children. Eglantyne Jebb (founder of Save the Chidlren) was also the first to press for worldwide safeguards for children. The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, adopted by the United Nations in 1989 and now ratified by nearly all countries worldwide, has its roots in her pioneering work.
In 2009, twenty-nine Save the Children organizations work to secure children’s rights and improve children’s lives in over 120 countries worldwide. At the members’ meeting the ambitious new five-year strategy is agreed, including changing the name to simply Save the Children, demonstrating our commitment to work even more closely together as one organization. In 2012, nineteen countries transitioned to Save the Children International and regional offices in Istanbul, Pretoria, Dakar and Panama.
Today, Save the Children and its 30 member organizations work to deliver change for children in around 120 countries. The organization delivers its programs internationally to achieve the greatest possible impact for children. It has a small centre and seven regional offices. The members work together to campaign for better outcomes for children, and to deliver programs at scale to support children.
The finance intern will be providing support to the finance team, mostly working in treasury. Through practical experience, the intern will develop skills in financial analysis, financial reporting, and financial operations.
Roles & Responsibilities
· The intern is expected to work with reporting team – supporting on BVA sharing & analyzing different project performance.
· Support the team in analyzing data which will be used for different decisions.
· Support the documentation and maintenance of financial records
· Circulate documents for signature, take cheque to banks and related activities as required.
· Support the finance team in ad hoc projects and assignments as needed.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparen
· Bachelor’s degree in management, Finance, and Accounting. With a Minimum grader of 3.6
· High competency in Microsoft excel and data manipulation.
· Demonstrates Computer knowledge in MS Office (Excel, Word, etc.).
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
· Good command of written and spoken English;
· Demonstrates strong learning agility
· Willingness and ability to be creative and flexible to contribute to better ways of enhancing work performance.
· Commitment to Save the Children values
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
Use the below link to apply :
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy