Plan International Ethiopia Vacancy Announcement, April 24, 2023.
- Organization: Plan International Ethiopia
- Position: Audit and Compliance Coordinator
- Employment: Full Time
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Experience Level: Senior Level (5 years)
- Number of Positions: Not Specified
- Date of Announcement: April 22, 2023
- Deadline: May 2, 2023
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
The position holder will be responsible to support Risk, Audit and Compliance Manager for the implementation of the department’s strategic plan by providing assurance of risk management and legal compliance in delivering country operations through developing and ensuring effective and efficient systems, internal controls, policies and procedures are in place and at all times implemented correctly.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a variety of quality, risk, regulatory and compliance support activities to ensure a high standard of compliance. Ensure staffing framework compliance with local labour law requirements, based on analysis of the local labour law with the existing legal documents (internal regulations, labour contracts, of protocol agreements, management notes) He/she will also provide legal support to the team as and when required.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Risk Management System / Risk Registers (5%)
- Monitor the progress of completion of actions on a timely basis and recommends to his supervisor if further action needs to take place
- Support the identification and classification of risks to the country operation, the documentation of these, and the determination of appropriate actions to appropriately manage/mitigate such risks. This includes the timely and periodic completion of the Country Office and Program Area risk registers.
- Follow up continuously the progress made towards agreed risk management/ mitigation actions, such that remedial actions can be taken in a timely way and when necessary.
- Ensure training and support of staff in the development of key control standards and to strengthen risk management and compliance
Audit and Compliance with key controls, and effectiveness and policies and procedures (60%)
- Prepare a master list of all required compliances to internal policies and procedures, external compliances to donors and government, ensure that Plan Ethiopia fully meets all the required compliances, monitor it , regularly and review its adequacy and effectiveness.
- Review compliance with established key controls in all areas of business including program, finance, sponsorship, resource acquisition and grant management, human resources, IT, partnerships, logistics, and in any other area of business as relevant.
- Prepare and submit a monthly report to Risk, Audit and Compliance Manager with regard to progress against agreed plan.
- Based on approved annual plan and the direction given from his/her supervisor, conduct internal audits of all Departments and PAs in Plan Ethiopia every year. Prepare a clear report with action plans and share with his/hersupervisor. Monitor the progress against the action plan to address all internal audit actions.
- Ensure periodic pre-audits on grants are carried out prior to the donor audits so that matters arising are addressed in a timely manner
- Prepare and regularly update the Master list of all audit actions, follow up with all action owners on regular basis, update the progress on audit actions and share it on monthly basis to his/her supervisor.
- Conduct an assessment of grant conditions compliance regularly on a sample basis in close collaboration with project implementation team
- Reviews compliance with the key controls contained in the HR manual of PIE regarding: Completeness of staff personal files, the process of employing of new staff, contract extensions and the like.
- Review if the management of cash is in compliance with the key requirements of the Operations Manual and/or other management controls as appropriate:
- For purchase of goods and services, assesses compliance with the key controls regarding authorization, selection of suppliers, and acknowledgement of receipt of goods purchased
- Control over per diem policies and travel advance payments
- Review deduction, declaration and payment of withholding tax as per the relevant law
- Review compliance with the key controls contained in the Operations Manual regarding fixed assets and inventory
Grant Management (10%)
- Continually review whether the grant management activities are in compliance with the key controls contained in the grant management guidelines of PIE and donor regulations
- Assess compliance with grant conditions on sample basis working closely with project implementation team
- Provide information on donor and Plan regulations on a regular basis to ensure specific guidelines are being followed.
Partners Support and conformance review (10%)
- Support partner organizations in their own risk management systems and processes, and conduct partner risk assessments based on due diligence reports, volume of funds, and other criteria set by his/her supervisor so as to identify possible key risks that might affect PIE’s operations with partners.
- Review selected partner organizations to ensure that they are operating in conformity with the partnership agreement entered into with PIE.
Case Investigation (10%)
- As required by the Country Director, support the design and undertaking of investigations into occurrences and incidents that have materialized and where controls, policies and procedures may be found to have been inadequate. This includes, but is not limited to, allegations of fraud.
Capacity Development and Anti-Fraud Awareness:(5%)
- Assist Risk, Audit and Compliance Manager for the implementation of capacity development plan and create an environment of organization wide experience sharing and promote best practices in relation to audit and compliance.
- Support and facilitate continuous reflection and learning with regard to the risk management system, as a means towards is continuous refinement and enhancement.
- Support and Monitor the implementation of the Anti-Fraud Policy anchored on zero tolerance to fraud.
- Conduct Ad Hoc and investigative assignments where required in line with the stipulated methodology and Counter Fraud Unit timelines.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that staff under his/her supervision are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
- How to make money online in Ethiopia
- Top 10 Banks in Ethiopia
- Awach SACCO | Savings, Loans & How Much Credit Can I Get?
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Graduate in relevant degree in Accounting and/or Finance, Audit or Compliance Management or other relevant areas and at least 5 years of work experience out of which 3 years on auditing experience preferably from NGO sector.
- Knowledge of risk management frameworks and processes; and Internal Control System
- Computer proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Good analytical skills, at ease with figures and economics data
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills, including writing skills
- Fluency in English language is essential
- In addition to Amharic other local Knowledge of Local Languages is a desirable
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is 02 May 2023. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
For Internal Applicants: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=46511&company=PlanInt
For External Applicants: https://jobs.plan-international.org/job/Addis-Ababa-Risk%2C-Audit-and-Compliance-Coordinator/927552101/
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
· Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.