- Category: Accounting and Finance, Banking and Insurance, Business and Administration
- Position: Finance Intern
- Location: Addis Ababa, Addis Ababa
- Career Level: Entry Level (Fresh Graduate)
- Employment Type: Internship
- Salary: $336.00
- Deadline: Aug 31, 2023
|CFA/0007/2023 – Re-advertised
|Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
|Type of Appointment:
|Three months with the possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date:
|As soon as possible
|31 August 2023
About the Organization
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting huma0ne and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (Finance), the Intern-Finance will be responsible and accountable for providing necessary support in the Finance Unit of the Mission. In particular, he/she will::
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist Sr. Finance Assistant(s) to review on regular basis the relevant Debtors/Creditors group codes, initiate follow-up messages for outstanding cases and provide timely feedback to the Sr. Finance Assistant.
- Assist Finance Officer in compiling monthly accounts for his /her review and dispatch to the completed package Manila Administrative Centre via an authorized communication channel.
- Assist Treasury Assistant to prepare & process payments to vendors.
- Follow up with staff to reimburse personal charges against usage of office resources wherever applicable.
- Assist Sr. Finance Assistant (S) to invoice staff for the private use of IOM resources such as vehicles, Telephone, flights, etc., and to follow up for payment.
- Maintain the filing system and ensure proper custody of financial documents i.e. vouchers, bank correspondence both manual and electronic, etc.
- Register Travel Authorizations of non-IOM personnel issued by the mission maintain the log register and follow up on settlements.
- To be the custodian of the Unit’s stationery stock (including receipt books and taxi books) and office supplies etc.
- Assist in computing the travel claims and staff imprest accounts by thoroughly checking the supporting documents provided. And maintain a register/Log for all missions’ receipt books and taxi voucher books.
- Assist in preparing VAT document verification and claim preparation.
- Assist in finance document archiving and custody and support audit sampled document arrangement.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Fresh graduate with a university degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field of study.
- High level of computer literacy is required, in particular, experience in computerized HR and/or Accounting software systems; good knowledge of MS Office specifically Excel;
- Good communication skills, drive for results, flexibility, efficiency, and respect for diversity;
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions and within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fresh graduate (within one year of graduation)
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English
- Knowledge of other local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and a work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
- Applicants are required to apply via ethiojobs.net. Please put the vacancy number, job title, and the duty station you are applying for in the subject line i.e., “Finance Intern, CFA/0007/2023, Addis Ababa”
- Any application without this information in the subject line and that does not fulfill/attach the below-listed documents will be disqualified and excluded from the applications.
- Motivation/Application letter indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice.
- CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) and Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
From 24 August 2023 – 31 August 2023