- Category: Accounting and Finance, Business and Administration
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Position: Programme Operations Officer
- Deadline: June 1, 2023
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economy, Business Management/Administration or any other relevant field
- A professional accounting qualification (such as CPA, ACCA or CIMA) and Project Management knowledge is an asset.
- Minimum of 3-years of experience in a similar position ensuring effective financial management, systems and controls, including institutional grant management, particularly with an international development organization.
- An Effective team player who is able to work diplomatically and with sensitivity with individuals from a variety of cultures, professions and personal backgrounds.
- Advantage of lived experience with disability.
- Ability to develop finance management capacity in others, and promote the importance of solid financial controls internally and to partners.
- Solid understanding of project cycle management.
- Demonstrated report writing skills and ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
- Thoroughness and business acumen.
- Attention to effective written and verbal communication.
- Reflects CBM values in daily work.
CBM is an international Christian development organization committed to improving people’s quality of life with disabilities in the world. CBM addresses disability as a cause and consequence of poverty and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all. For more information, visit our website at www.cbm.org.
CBM seeks to recruit a Programme Operations Officer based at the CBM Ethiopia Country Office. The position facilitates and supports partners maintain acceptable control and compliance and reporting standards on donor funds in line with CBM and donor agreements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Guide partners to set up and maintain financial control systems and processes to ensure that financial resources as used by partners are in compliance with CBM financial policies, standards and procedures, and with specific donor requirements and contracts and provide training/coaching as needed.
- Work in direct liaison with the programme team and provide ad hoc reports as may be required.
- Perform periodic audits or spot-checks of partner financial management and control systems.
- Enforce partner delivery of timely, complete and quality financial reports in line with CBM’s requirements, including annual financial statements; verify quality and provide feedback to partners.
- Maintain database of partner reporting records in order to ensure the right cash balance is well managed and maintained.
- Give immediate notification of (critical) finance issues, and engage actively in the resolution of these issues.
- Monitors cash balances with partners.
- Support partners in all aspects of the annual and multi-year budget process with partners, in line with CBM’s budget guidelines.
- Conduct the financial and legal compliance as part of partner assessments to assess capacity gaps.
- Conduct field monitoring visits to partners together with the CBM programme team
- Organize and conduct training of Partner organisations in financial management of grants to strengthen the capacity for high quality performance.
- Oversee the development of the budget component of all proposals, ensuring all costs are accounted for and maximum costs are recovered before approval by the Finance Manager;
- Critically analyse partners’ financial reports for compliance against approved budgets; (e.g., PPR, CBM Project Financial Checklists, consolidated reports for consortia partners..)
- Track and monitor partners project implementation rate in relation to fund transfer rate to ensure partners are receiving project funds on time.
- Document the key highlights noted in the financial regular and monitoring reports and report on the progress of the implementation of recommendations by CBM, project auditors and other stakeholders through persistent follow ups.
- Review periodical program fund reconciliation statements against financial reports from the implementing partners to ensure completeness and accuracy of financial reports.
- Organize and participate in financial reviews and investigative audits of partners, and suggest corrective action as appropriate on areas in partners’ financial systems and procedures that need improvement.
- Development of Terms of Reference for project financial monitoring visits and audits and ensure that CBMs accountability requirements are incorporated in the TORs.
- Identify red-flag partners, compile the red-flag reports and checklists, follow up with the partners and provide regular updates to the Finance Manager, Program team, Finance Manager and Country Director.
- Upload approved financial and narrative project reports in agreed CBM Document Management systems (Navision and SharePoint).
How to Apply
Candidates with the required profile and proven experience, who meet these qualifications, are invited to submit via e-mail, a meaningful letter of motivation, stating why he/she wishes to work for CBM, CV, three professional references and salary expectations to
Application Deadline: 1st June 2023
CBM encourages persons with disabilities who meet the qualifications to apply for this position. For further information about CBM’s inclusion policy, please visit our Resources & Publications section at http://www.cbm.org
This position is local and subject to local employment and immigration laws.