Chemonics International Inc. Vacancy Announcement, May 4, 2023
- Organization: Chemonics International Inc.
- Position: Bookkeeper, USAID/Ethiopia Urban WASH Activity
- Experience: Junior Level (2 years)
- Location: Not Specified
- Date of Announcement: May 3, 2023
- Deadline: May 31, 2023
- Maintain a proper accounting department, checking the Activity’s internal control system to ensure that the policies and procedures are being adhered to, including,
- Prepare checks, receipts, and journals,
- Review all accounting records for accuracy and legitimacy,
- Verify all payments before approval by the finance/accounting manager,
- Enter data entry of all approved vouchers into the web-based software system (the Chemonics Field Office accounting system),
- Review cash balances daily, prepare wire transfer requests, and secure and conduct bank reconciliations,
- Follow up to ensure that all timesheets are received in a timely manner and all leave forms are signed and saved in the relevant folders,
- Prepares payroll and ensures that payroll forms are accurate and fully completed on time monthly,
- Prepare cash reconciliation at the end of each month to close the month’s books, and submit to the home office,
- Maintain the web-based system and prepare monthly locals according to Activity guidelines,
- Enters and reviews petty cash management, including verification and review of petty cash payments for accuracy, legitimacy, and reconciliation of remaining cash with the finance/accounting manager whenever replenishment is required,
- Track staff annual leave, sick, and holiday leave balances,
- Track sub ledger balances, including receivable accounts for individual staff ensuring that outstanding travel advances are settled before issuing new advances,
- Maintain communication and coordination with the Chemonics’ headquarters project management unit (PMU) and finance/ accounting unit,
- Records expenditures in the internal accounting system,
- Assures that all back-up and approvals are available before the accountant makes payment,
- Responsible for maintaining proper financial data and financial files,
- Scans all accounting documents on a daily basis,
- Performs administrative and financial tasks such as processing expense reports, travel advances, and contact with vendors,
- Reviews grant agreement budgets for accuracy prior to submission for final clearance or other approvals,
- Assists with ad hoc financial monitoring and analysis of grants as needed, in coordination with other staff,
- Works with the procurement specialist to ensure that internal policies are followed as it relates to financial documentation in the procurement process,
- Assists in compiling and reviewing timesheets so that payroll is processed in a timely and accurate fashion,
- Assists with financial tracking of local subcontractors and fixed price contracts as needed,
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Account or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Business Management, Accounting, or a related field
- At least two (2) years of relevant bookkeeping, financial management and/or accounting experience in Ethiopia
- Knowledge of basic accounting and accounting practices is required, as well as general accounting best practices in Ethiopia
- Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow staff members, visitors, the public, and partner institutions including international and local NGOs, and governmental entities
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, prioritize multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and exercise good, professional judgment that reflects positively on the image and communicates the established program message of the project
- Demonstrated knowledge and extensive experience with USAID regulations and control systems preferred
- Experience on international donor-funded project is a plus
- Ability to effectively use computer software including financial management applications and Microsoft Office. Demonstrated high proficiency with Excel spreadsheet applications is required.
- Experience using ABACUS software is preferred
- Fluency in written and oral English is required. Working proficiency in Amharic strongly preferred.
- How to make money online in Ethiopia
- Top 10 Banks in Ethiopia
- Awach SACCO | Savings, Loans & How Much Credit Can I Get?
How to Apply
Please apply by using this link. Applications must be submitted by the end of the day on May 31, 2023. Early applications are strongly encouraged. No telephone inquiries, please.