International Committee of the Red Cross Vacancy Announcement, April 29, 2023
- Organization: International Committee of the Red Cross
- Position: Accountant I
- Employment: Fixed term contract until 31st December 2023 with possibility of extension based on budget to be available for the position.
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Experience Level: Mid Level (3 years)
- Salary: Attractive
- Number of Positions: 2
- Date of Announcement: April 29, 2023
- Deadline: May 8, 2023
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Accountant I Based in Addis Ababa.
Terms of Employment: Fixed term contract until 31st December 2023 with possibility of extension based on budget to be available for the position.
Place of work: Addis Ababa
Number of Position Two /2/
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respect and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in handling the bookkeeping of standard operations in various currencies.
- Knows, applies and comply with all administrative and financial procedures and deadlines linked to his/her work.
- Explains financial procedures to the “clients”.
- Ensures respect of financial procedures and guidelines.
- Processes financial data on computer.
- Provides end of month closing reports with the support of Accountant II.
- Report any irregularities immediately to the direct supervisor.
- Keeps files up to date at all times and guarantees proper filing of relevant supporting documents for future reference.
- Receives, records and cross checks cash payments and financial documents handed over by the cashier on a daily basis.
- Enters vouchers into accounting application (IRIS) on a daily basis, respecting the cash hour set.
- Performs daily cash control and produces daily cash statement using the accounting software.
- Ensures proper entries of expenditure, income, and transfer, respecting the ICRC chart of account.
- Establishes complete accounting documents, including invoice and voucher, duly stamped, approved and signed.
- Applies the ICRC financial procedures for eventual discrepancies and reports them immediately to the Finance Head.
- Takes part in the cash flow management and maintains sufficient amount of cash for daily use in the delegation.
- Charges or records the expatriates’ account for private expenses, like telephone, fax, internet, duty free, etc. on monthly basis, and files copies for future reference.
- Files all cash related vouchers and makes them ready for final signature and dispatch to Manila.
- Provides the relevant inputs for Manila’s comment and facilitates timely reply.
- Conduct quality check of the transaction recorded and amend if it requires before submitted for posting.
- Prepares check/Letter payments after verification of the necessary documents and follow-up the regular update of the bank balance on the database.
- Enters bank related transactions into the accounting application the same day they occurred.
- Prepare bank reconciliation on a weekly bases.
- Organizes fund transfers to the sub-delegations and reconciles external transfer accounts on monthly basis.
- Collects bank statements and bank advises, and follows up the recording.
- Finalizes the payment of monthly credit bills for clients before closing, respecting the time frame of agreement.
Managing partner file
Settles Partner organization, Ethiopian Red cross society (ERCS) advances after checking their document and corresponding with the MoU.
- Follows up the budget utilization and reports the status of the partner office.
- Supervises and reduces the number of working advances and pending invoices by ensuring and enforcing early settlement before monthly closing.
- Checks the completeness of all necessary documents for the monthly closing (specimen signatures, list of expatriates, list of premises, monthly local staff recapitulation, number of copiers, number of daily workers, etc.)
- Assists the Accountant 2 with the preparation of the monthly accounting closure and reports when required.
- Compiles all financial documents for dispatch to Manila on monthly basis respecting the time frame.
- Reviews accounts with accounting application for possible corrections.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly VAT refund requests and follow up the balance.
- Identify anomalies and other issues and immediately report to direct supervisor.
Filing and dispatching of accounting documents
- Keeping files of correspondence letters, financial reports, and original utility bills by month and by type (residences/offices).
- Organizes office activities according to priorities.
- How to make money online in Ethiopia
- Top 10 Banks in Ethiopia
- Awach SACCO | Savings, Loans & How Much Credit Can I Get?
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- A minimum of a BA degree in accounting/management/economics and other related subjects and a minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar field. Working in an International Humanitarian organization does have an added value.
- Fluency in English and good communication skills
- Good behavior to work with people from various cultures and professional backgrounds
- Readiness and willingness for self-learning and personal developments
- Excellent knowledge and use of Microsoft Excel.
How to Apply
Applicants shall submit their electronic CVs and cover letter through the ethiojobs.net website
Closing date: March 08, 2022.
Women applicants and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
The ICRC does not tolerate fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. Therefore, ICRC Ethiopia will maintain the right to conduct background and reference checks on the final candidate who accepts a conditional offer to this position. All staff hired by ICRC are also expected to follow the ICRC’s Code of Conduct.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.