Ethiopian movies have been revolving in genres like historical, romance, comedy, drama and so on. Considering Ethiopia’s recent and late films, we have provided you with the best historical Ethiopian movies. Enjoy watching our picks.
7. TAZA ታዛ
- Director: Kidest Yilma
- Producer: Amanuel Habtamu and Yafet Henock
- Leading actor/actress: Zeritu Kebede, Amanuel Habtamu, Yafet Henock
- Year: 2017
- Runtime: 1h 50m
- Plot: In 1990G.C, Selam, a young beautiful, and intelligent woman, was aboard to study in Cuba. When she comes back to her motherland, she resides in a house of a loving older couple whose child is a duty solider. When their son comes back, he always disagrees with the girl because she drinks every night. Eventually, the two fall in love, making Selam feel like she is back home in her motherland.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FP6j8b0cA
6. TIZITA ትዝታ
- Director: Habtamu Hibrewerk
- Producer: Sineshaw Alemu
- Leading actor/actress: Girum Ermias, Anteneh Asres, Mohammed Miftah, Biniyam Bekele
- Year: 2010
- Runtime: 1h 25m
- Plot: It is a movie about a man whose life is affected by his early childhood. He grew up in a broken family with his father, who experienced emotional pain. Then the man tries to build a happy life with his wife and works to fulfill his dead parent’s dreams.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMsZGYIHq0
5. 79 ሰባ ዘጠኝ
- Director: Tekabe Tadiwos
- Producer: Sileshi Getaneh and Wondwossen Getaneh
- Leading actor/actress: Selam Tesfaye, Girum Ermias, Natay Getachew
- Year: 2016
- Runtime: 1h 53m
- Plot: A Dergue regime commander pressures a father and coerces him to give him his daughter’s hand in marriage. The daughter reluctantly obliges to this arrangement, knowing her father’s freedom and well-being depend on it. However, she meets and falls in love with a young man who gives her the confidence to defy her father and the arrogant commander she despises. However, the ruthless commander will stop at nothing to ensure she stays in his possession.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fsGdf8ikTs
4. KEY SIHITET ቀይ ስህተት
- Director: Theodros Teshome
- Producer: Theodros Teshome
- Main actor/actress: Theodros Teshome, Fikadu Teklemariam, Tamiru Berhanu, Getahun Solomon, Shewaferaw Desalegn, Alganesh Tariku, Fitsum Tsegaye, Temesgen Melaku
- Year: 2006
- Runtime: 1h 35m
- Plot: The movie shows the suffering of a young man in the Derg regime. In addition to, the film illustrates the lives of Ethiopians experiencing sorrow and terrors due to the violent political repression campaign of the Derg.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkUtNxy5pk
3. YERAS ASHEKER የራስ አሽከር
- Director: Zekariyas Kassa
- Producer: Hawassa Family Film Production
- Main actor/actress: Shimelis Abera (Joro), Wondesen Berhanu (Dokile), Zinahbizu Tsegaye, Thomas Tora
- Year: 2013
- Runtime: 1h 36m
- Plot: The movie is about a military general who has betrayed his country. The official was working to hand down key military documents to foreign allies. Conversely, there was a brave and loyal soldier who stood firm to serve his country.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtaOGPqBGI
2. QURAGNAYE ቁራኛዬ
- Director: Moges Tafesse
- Producer: Synergy Habesha Film
- Main actor/actress: Yemisirach Girma, Zerihun Mulatu, Frehiwot Kelkilew, Feleke Kassa, Tesfaye Yimam, Assefa Gebremichael
- Year: 2018
- Runtime: 1h 27m
- Plot: It is a film showing the unique Ethiopian culture in antiquity. This historical movie discovers the judiciary system of ancient Ethiopia.
- Youtube link (trailer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PurPz918qo
1. TEZA ጤዛ
- Director: Haile Gerima
- Producers: Haile Gerima, Karl Baumgartner, Philippe Avril, Marie-Michèlegravele Cattelain
- Leading actor/actress: Teje Tesfahun, Aaron Arefe, Takelech Beyene
- Year: 2008
- Runtime: 2h 20m
- Plot: The Ethiopian intellectual Anberber, who, after leaving Ethiopia for Germany to become a doctor, returns to his native country during the regime of Haile Mariam Mengistu. Seeking the comfort of his countryside home, Anberber finds no refuge from violence. The solace that the memories of his youth provide is quickly replaced by the competing forces of military and rebelling factions. Anberber needs to decide whether he wants to bear the strain or piece together a life from the fragments around him.
- Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgjxOiMcDI